Took a few hours outside today to degrease rubdown with MEK and then use metal ready and rinse. It was in the high 40's, and metal ready says it works best at 70F, so I let it stay wet with acid for about 45 minutes or so before rinsing. Prep is done and today officially starts the rebuild if you wanna get technical.
Did you have to sand at all or just the MEK and metal ready?
I used a 4 1/2" grinder with 120 and 80 grit flap discs, a 3" drill bit cup wire brush (fine) and a 1" rill bit cup brush (course). I also used a random orbital with the stick on paper in 200 grit and some 60 grit. For tight exposed places and joints I used a 4 1/2 wire knot wheel.
There was not an inch that didn't get hit. Some stuborn paint stayed but it is so scratched and cut it will be fine to go over.
Some places (between frame and rear shock mount & between frame and axle bump stops) needed to be hit with a needle gun to get scale off before sanding. I also found the front grill mount totally gone and a previous pic shows where it was replaced. The body mounts for the most part are in decent shape and needed no welding, but minor scabbling with the needle. The needle also works great for old duplicolor undercoat or some similar rubberized flake paint that was on the frame. That stuff only melts and smears when you sand it with a flap disc and doesn't come off. Richmond88YJ reports he used a putty knife once before for that, but a needle gun makes it come off like a cheap suit and flake to leave a sandable surface.
POR15 says it doesn't like to go over clean paint...so it got taken off 95% and the other 5% is prepped in my mind.
After the sanding the whole frame was hit with simple green to get the black dust and first layer of any grease off, and then the MEK rub followed by metal ready. Currently it is drying in the garage after I brought it back in, as you have to hose off the metal ready & simple green.
The result is that there is a fine grey coating covering the frame of zinc phosphate and light rust....the POR 15 will love it.
While I wait for the recent global warming trend to pass...so I can paint the frame and not have it freeze..
I took the old tie rod and drag link and cut the boots off of the ends and cleaned them good by hand. Then I pumped grease into the fittings to press the old grease out the ball and wiped that out. The ends looked good, so I cleaned the rest of the rods up with a wire brush and ran some sand paper over them. I played around with replacement boots.
Wrapped the ends up and primed and painted.
Thinks are gonna be moving fast when the frame paint gets a burst of warm air to make things doable...I DO so hate this global warming we are having.
Last edited by hotelconucc93; 02-14-2010 at 10:22 AM..