Tearing YJ apart and rebuilding - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tearing YJ apart and rebuilding

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #16
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bump for Chet,

You're making great progress man.

As for cleaning the innards of the 30 and the 8.8, Brake cleaner works really well.

Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

I gotta get new pictures in here. The latest progress is that Richmond88YJ came over last night and helped me bust the springs and axles out. Was definately a two man job.

The frame is bare and I have begun sanding it down with his orbital and some 60 grit/100 grit. I had quite a layer of rubberized asphalt type sealer over the rear 3/4 of the frame that when sanding was a bit**. I pulled out the air scabbler and went to town on the layer and it flew apart like a cheap suit.

I have been playing with orbital versus 4.5 inch grinder with a 120 grit sanding disk. So far, the DeWalt makes quicker work than an orbital, and uses less sand paper. However, the orbital makes a great finish pass over the grinding sander disk. A great discovery.

I have gone the reman engine route from Hiperformer and am awaiting the block. Have not updated this due to my busy days! Wish I had more pictures but my camera went missing after Talladega and I fear it is onboard the RV at the repair shop...

I picked up a new D30 for the front for $210 delivered to the house from a local salvage yard. This will save $$$ from regearing the front from 3.07 to 4.10 to match the rear 8.8 in 4.10.

More to follow...thanks Ernie.

Next...the frame will get finish sanded, MEK, Metal Ready, and after a few days of moisture and light rusting...some POR-15 with a top layer of Chassis Coat Black from the POR-15 line.
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #18
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Added since I am so happy it worked...

I lied, the only thing left on my frame is the mount for the steering gear as the two bolts that go UP into the frame broke the captured nut and they spun. After scratching our heads, we drilled up into the frame next to the mount and towards the bolt end in hopes of getting the nut punctured. Three broken drill bits later, and few nails pounded in...the impact gun drove the bolts home and torqued them down good. Got a captured nut in the frame and don't want to cut or cant use downpressure??? DRILL'EM and put in a temporary nail and torque away.
Unread 12-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Gonna look good when you're done!

I ran into the same problem with my rollcage but I gave up

I may tackle mine in the spring again. I'm still not sold on lining my tub at this point anyway. And all the mounts still look good.

As far as your axles, I remember doing mine with the lift kit and needing to burn out my bushings so I could get a reciprocating saw blade in to cut the bolts. Took something like 4 days of part-time work to get the old springs off. No amount of PB helped.

Good luck!

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #20
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

I had a problem. The front grill mount was about paper thin and the hole was rotted out totally, surprised the grill was holding on. I can't find a good pic, but the metal pulled away by hand if that tells you anything.

I cut out the crud and took it back a little farther and then welded a plate over it. After I clean the top of the frame for painting, and flip it, I will zip the bottom to seal the plate and keep water out of the joint. This plate is the same size as the removed area, with just enough metal to tack the plate and weld in place over it. Wanted it to bear on the existing metal that I trimmed to give it more weight support...only a 1/8 thin, so it wont matter much.

After I replace the grill, I will trace the new hole and drill for the bolt.

Unread 12-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #21
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajeepers View Post
No amount of PB helped.

Good luck!
Thanks to Richmond88YJ's assistance and a hell of a BFH the springs came out no problem.

For the past few days I have feverishly been working on the frame.

When it was flipped, I noted that my nutserts for the tranny skid plate were stripped out. That is why I lost two bolts. I put bolts in the other ones and they almost pulled out on their own, even after I tried to tap the hole again....so...I ground out the 6 nutserts in the frame, and thanks to jeepforum...I have six new ones installed with ease!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nu...nstall-390635/

That's how to do it! The YJ part is # 6035739, using 6 @ $6.00 ea. The website, www.Moparonlinepart.com lists them for a TJ I think with a description as "NUT NONE".

If you have your frame upside down, it's simple...still would be easy under the frame if not taken apart. I followed the directions, but getting them out was as simple as grinding the surface washer of the rivet down to the frame and using a punch to knock the rest of it out of the hole left in the frame...but don't mess with the hole! The Nutsert fits right in and tightens easily as the thread describes.

Well, the frame was taken outside today and set on stands in the driveway, and my new 4.0 I6 242 from Hiperformer arrived and went into the garage.

As soon as it starts raining tomorrow with temps in the 50s here, I am gonna go out and degrease the frame and rub some MEK on her. Then, she will get a dose of POR-15 made METAL_READY. After that, I'll take her back inside and get ready for POR-15 and Black Gloss Chassis Coat.

Ordered today!!!

Classic Rock Crawler Rear with Tire Carrier Bumper by Smittybilt

Free Shipping Sitewide $269.99 courtesy of Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories, & Jeep Tops ? Jeep Wrangler Parts by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware ? Your Jeep Parts Source*

Tubular Flat Panel Fender Flares by Xenon (YJ)

Free Shipping Sitewide $376.19 also from Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories, & Jeep Tops ? Jeep Wrangler Parts by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware ? Your Jeep Parts Source*
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #22
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelconucc93 View Post
Added since I am so happy it worked...

I lied, the only thing left on my frame is the mount for the steering gear as the two bolts that go UP into the frame broke the captured nut and they spun. After scratching our heads, we drilled up into the frame next to the mount and towards the bolt end in hopes of getting the nut punctured. Three broken drill bits later, and few nails pounded in...the impact gun drove the bolts home and torqued them down good. Got a captured nut in the frame and don't want to cut or cant use downpressure??? DRILL'EM and put in a temporary nail and torque away.

PS - After the frame was stripped, I welded the bolts to the mount, and tacked the mount to the frame. Also re-tacked for security sake the bumper nuts in the front of the frame rails and the two bottom nuts for the bumper at the rear of the frame...never want a loose one again.
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #23
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

PICS of the new motor or BAN!!!

Seriously post em up.

Getting that core and the front axle out of the van yesterday about killed me, it was beer and ibuprofen all night. The 35 wasn't bad though.

You should chrome your frame, you've done a magnificent job on it, it's almost a shame to cover your hard work with paint.
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
PICS of the new motor or BAN!!!

Seriously post em up.

Getting that core and the front axle out of the van yesterday about killed me, it was beer and ibuprofen all night. The 35 wasn't bad though.

You should chrome your frame, you've done a magnificent job on it, it's almost a shame to cover your hard work with paint.
That's not a bad idea...pics and chrome, but I already bought the paint! I want the frame black anyway.

I forgot! I took a pic of the box for someone else, but I took a photo in the box too.

I told you I would come and help you with the van. My 18,16 and 14 year old all grabbed a corner of the engine box under the pallet and walked it like the Lost Arc into the garage from the driveway where Yellow left it. They were to come between 12-5 and instead came at 10:00 while I was doing a mile swim at the gym...bums...
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #25
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Here she is!

No ban for me!

Unread 12-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #26
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hehe, Man I'm jealous.

I've got a big project for work that will take most of tomorrow, but for the holiday and weekend I'm wide open, give me a call if you're working on it, happy to come over and help.

The core and 30 were a pain, not bad just awkward bending over and skooching them out. The core was the worst. Had the trans jack up to the bumper and rolled it out with my 18 YO kid as the 14 YO worked the jack. That is one heavy little *****.
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #27
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

wow by the time this beast is done it will be called a 2010 yj
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #28
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark2074 View Post
You wouldn't believe the care Chet is putting into this. Every nut and bolt labeled, every inch of the frame restored like bodywork, all new hardware etc etc.

Add to that he's meticulous and thorough on every aspect of the build. For a mild YJ, when this rig is done it's going to be a show rig.
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #29
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark2074 View Post
I had a good fight with my wife on the phone while I was in Kabul...

She insisted on me selling it and getting a brand new one. I like my square lights! I like MUD. I don't want a mall car.

So...while I was there I planned and read and occupied my down time with the gym and Jeepforum and Quadratec books she would ship me.

I told her that I was going to spend about 10K not 30, and do it myself..and have a rock/mud beast when I was done and some pride!
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #30
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
You wouldn't believe the care Chet is putting into this. Every nut and bolt labeled, every inch of the frame restored like bodywork, all new hardware etc etc.

Add to that he's meticulous and thorough on every aspect of the build. For a mild YJ, when this rig is done it's going to be a show rig.
Thanks Ernie!

I took advantage of the above freezing outside temps and brought my hose in the garage last night to thaw it. I also finished the last of the frame work and took it outside and put her in the driveway knowing we were gonna have rain today and temps near the 50s for the next two days. Today was a clean up the garage day and clean the frame day.

I mixed some simple green up and brushed the frame good and used the hose to wash her off. Got all the black dust out of her and cleaned her good. I am gonna let the rest of the day rain on it and tomorrow morning the same. After it clears tomorrow I am gonna give her a good happy ending massage with MEK and then hit it with METAL-READY.

I was happy to see it start to rust when I looked at it in the driveway this morning. The rain last night helped with that one. The POR 15 will have a wonderful surface when I start it!

HEY - Happy New Year!

Ernie - you got that 1 5/16 socket for the pitman arm? I would love to get that off. I got a puller...not a socket...

Tags
8.8 , atlas , bed liner , nv3550 , por15

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.