Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

team rush vs HEI

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bigorangeyj 
#1 ·
Which is better, the team rush mod or HEI ignition. I know the team rush mod is just a premium ignition setup pieced together, and I know what HEI is. But which is better, or is it just all about preference?

#2 ·
I think it is a matter of preference.
I know some people hate having Ford parts in their rig so they replace them with Chevy parts. I have had no problems with the Ford parts.

Dwayne

#3 ·
Many an engine's cam shaft has been destroyed by the cheap clone HEI dist. on the market. Hardened drive gears. Beware of what is being offered.

IMHO, for the best all round performance ignition upgrade go to your favorite parts house and order a '79-'81 distributer for a AMC 4.2 I6. Expect to layout around 50 bucks. Then by all means use the 'teamrush' upgrade cap, rotor and wires.

Your distributer has a restricted advance head since the computer would advance time, the pre-computer S.S.I. dist. has a broader advance head. Much has been written and info can be had on this subject over on the CJ board.

#4 ·
To me, the more ford parts, the merrier. One advatage for the HEI is that they make some distributers that are plug and play for the MSD offroad ignition for a complete system.

#5 ·
I also think it's a matter of preference. I personally run the HEI with no issues. You can order a gear from CRT or the whole set up, I've heard no problems with their gears and it's what I have as well. You can also modify your stock gear or get a gear from an AMC V8. I went the HEI route after two bad Ignition Control Modules, which the TFI upgrade still uses.

#6 ·
I did the TFI (ford) upgrade. Runs great! I think that there is a voltage to spark difference between the two , TFI and HEI, HEI having higher voltages. I have the 8mm spark plug wires on the TFI setup....if I went HEI I would make sure that I only used 8mm spark wires. I believe, not sure, that TFI is around 35000 volts and HEI is around 50k, whereas stock is 20K. The main advantage of both HEI and TFI is the larger distributor which stops crossfiring of spark plug wires at higher RPM's. If you compare these setups with the stock jeep distributor cap, there is some difference in size.

The main reason I did not go HEI is I did not see any name brand HEI setups, ie....Mallory, (did not trust the ebay HEI setups) and the TFI parts can be had at any local parts store for tune up's..... and.......TFI was cheaper.

jus my .02....hope this helps out.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I believe I'm going to go with the 76-81 distributor and premium plugs, wires, cap, and msd 6, and flamethrower coil. Which plugs and wires should I go with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.