Team Rush Mod (Writeup w/ Pics} - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Team Rush Mod (Writeup w/ Pics}

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #31
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's ok, I only live 3 miles from the parts stores. I had to put this off yet another day because none of the stores had the cap spacer in stock.
This mod looks easy enough, but I have one question. I have an A/C compressor really close to my #1 plug. Am I going to be able to get the new plug in and fit my new beefy 8mm wire in there too?
Are you guys using plug wires from a '90's 4.0L? All the stores I went to claimed that they only had 7mm wires for the Jeep 4.0. So I ended up getting Napa Belden wires from the '82 Ford 300 i6. They are 8mm and should fit.... right?

88TNSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #32
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Those wires should fit fine.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #33
Flynraider
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Who are you and what have you done with my Jeep?

I love my TFI upgrade. Here are links to a couple of pics: (I cant post pics yet, too much of a noob)

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=CIMG0354.jpg

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=CIMG0355.jpg

I went with an MSD blaster coil pack as it wasnt that much more than the standard one (i think it cost me 58 bucks) and I plan on ditching the motorcraft ignition module in favor of an MSD-6A in the not too distant future.

I left the factory resistor wire on as i read in several writeups that while it needs to be removed to get the full potential out of the new coil, it can also fry your ignition module if you are not careful. I will pull it when i put in the MSD-6A. I still got a marked improvement over the factory equipment.

I fabbed my own plug wires using an accel kit (I didn't know at the time that you could use a set for a 4.0).

You'll notice i just mounted the coil directly to the fender using some brass plumbing nipples as standoffs and stainless steel bolts. I would have liked to fab a bracket but i dont have the equipment for real fabrication at the moment and I'm too much of a perfectionist to half-arse it.
Unread 11-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #34
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on doing this upgrade fairly soon but I had a question about the coil.

I have an accel super coil (huge yellow brick with a brown top) that I used on a 350 for a while and I was wondering if I could use this coil or if I would run the risk of blowing something up. I ran the coil on my 73 midget for a while until it literally started welding ignition parts together (points and rotor) but the Jeep is a higher quality and more rugged vehicle.
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #35
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not familiar with it.
What are the specs of it (how much is the output voltage)?
See how that compares to other coils that have been used on Jeeps.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
Unread 11-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #36
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on the supercoil's output voltage, it may be a good candidate to run with platinum plugs(?). You need a high voltage coil for those things - i.e. something around 50kV+.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #37
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll check it out.

I've never been a fan of platinum plugs but I'll look into that too, I was always under the impression that platinum plugs didn't actually work any better than copper ones they just lasted longer.

I'll try to find the specs tonight.
Unread 11-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #38
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Platinum plugs work well in the right ignition system. A lot of people dont understand that you need a HIGH voltage coil to jump that platinum over the course of time. It is not as good of a conductor as copper based on the atomic structure.

Yes, they are supposed to last longer, but also give a more consistant spark. The construction of the platinum is easier than with copper and it doesn't corrode as easy as copper does. It's a more stable element. That's why the companies are pushing them.

I'm not a fan of them either...at least not for a Jeep. But with that coil, they may be worth it. It would mostly depend on the output voltage.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #39
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Specifications
Primary Resistance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.7 Ohms
Secondary Resistance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .11.8 k Ohms
Turns Ratio . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .70 : 1
Maximum Voltage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .45,000 volts
Super Coil . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .140001

This is for the coil that I have in my garage.

It is the first coil in this pdf http://www.accel-ignition.com/pdf/CoilsUniversal.pdf

This is the link to the product page
Accel Super Coil product page

I'll start looking for information on coils that other people have used in their Jeeps, I haven't seen any information like that so far but maybe a few minutes using the search feature will yield the information I need.
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #40
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used this one. No need to cut the wires. Your factory clip just slides right over.

http://www.accel-ignition.com/Produc...minselection=8
140207.jpg  
ChicagoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #41
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I see no problem with using this coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mork View Post
Specifications
Primary Resistance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.7 Ohms
Secondary Resistance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .11.8 k Ohms
Turns Ratio . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .70 : 1
Maximum Voltage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .45,000 volts
Super Coil . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .140001

This is for the coil that I have in my garage.

It is the first coil in this pdf http://www.accel-ignition.com/pdf/CoilsUniversal.pdf

This is the link to the product page
Accel Super Coil product page

I'll start looking for information on coils that other people have used in their Jeeps, I haven't seen any information like that so far but maybe a few minutes using the search feature will yield the information I need.
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #42
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ
I see no problem with using this coil.
X2, but I don't think it's strong enough to use platinum plugs.
Go for Bosch supers!

Holley Carb thread
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #43
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are there two different styles of distributor? I didn't see where this was specific to 4.2 engines but it appears my 4.0 does not have the correct distributor to do this mod. My distributor cap is gray and vented and will not accept the ford rotor.

Thanks for verifying the coil for me, I think I'll switch to that.
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #44
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The "Team Rush" mod isn't for the 4.0
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #45
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ
The "Team Rush" mod isn't for the 4.0
Even so, he should be able to use that coil with the 4.0l.
Or is the stock 4.0l coil about the same output voltage?
(I don't remember)

Holley Carb thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.