Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tcase question

629 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  JeeperDon 
#1 ·
Im wondering about my transfer case, it is making some odd clunking sounds when i put in the clutch when its in 4 wheel drive. and when i got stuck in the snow the other day i tried getting out, and 2 of my tires were spinning, the other 2 werent, one front and one rear, opposite sides, and it was in 4wd, the front end started going up and down and made a loud sound, just wondering if theres anything i should be worrying about. or a preventative repair i could do if there is something to worry about

#2 ·
ginsy said:
the other day i tried getting out, and 2 of my tires were spinning, the other 2 werent, one front and one rear, opposite sides, and it was in 4wd
Yup, thats how it works. 4WD means both drive shafts are working, not just the rear. However, just like a car with one drive wheel on ice is stuck, if you have one front and one rear on ice, you're stuck. At least you had ends working, not one.

#4 ·
my vacuum system is messed up too, and i think thats what made it go up and down, and i just took it for a short ride up my hill, didnt here the clunking sound, so until it comes back, im not going to worry about it. thanks

#5 ·
Yeah I had a clunk from the vacuum failing and it would disengage and re-engage. I feel so much safer since I got rid of that vacuum!! Solid now, no more clunks, and I know its working and can go anywhere.

#10 ·
There's a cable disconnect system under the FAQ I believe. If the write-up's not under there, try a quick google search. Another option is open up the vacuum housing on the front axle, move the collar to connect the two shafts together manually, and then put a zip tie on both sides of the collar and it won't be going anywhere. Leave the vacuum disconnected, just put some bolts in the holes so your not sucking up mud. Now your always ready to roll. My buddies and I run this setup and haven't had a single problem. This is how the TJ's are setup.

#11 ·
ginsy said:
ok thanks, what do you do to replace the vacuum thing for future refference
To me, the weak link in the coupler system is not the method used to dis/engage it, it is the existance of the two piece axle on that side. There is more slop in the connection in my opinion, and a straight single piece axle like a TJ is better for 4wd performance and reliability. The only thing a cable operated engagement does is use a lot of $$$ to replace the vacuum system. The vacuum system can be maintained for a LOT of years with less than that $$$. If I do anything to improve my D30, it will be a manual hub, full axle kit.

#13 ·
justlookin said:
Just put a TJ shaft in it.They dont have the coupler.Block the plate off and your done.
You are right in that would work for the 4wd side of my concerns. I, however would still be interested in the 'nothing much spinning' in 2wd, hense the manual hubs. I guess I should ask myself, "How much money will I spend in extra gas spinning the front drive shaft with just TJ axles compared to the high cost of the manual hub conversion?"

I should reverse the hoses on the axle for a test. That way the coupler would be engaged with the tcase still in 2wd. That would simulate the driving feel of a TJ axle in there. If it feels ok driving, I could even leave it that way for a tank to see how it effects mileage. Curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.