TC skid bolts falling out. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TC skid bolts falling out.

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

TC skid bolts falling out.

So I was driving across the savanna a few days ago and the jeep starts getting difficult to shift. Something feels weird, so I stopped to take a gander and was shocked to see that all three bolts on the drivers side of TC skid had fallen out and it was just hangin' there three inches off the frame! I keep some tools with me so I managed to pull the middle bolt from the passenger side and put it in the middle on the drivers side to limp home.

I've now got new bolts, but the mechanic says the the threads in the frame are partially stripped and one of them is spinning. I don't know how to weld and I don't have any faith in most of the welders that I've met in Belize. I've seen their work.

Is there anything I can do? When I put the bolts back in, I used blue loctite to help prevent them from shaking loose. (nearly 100% of my driving is on very poor dirt roads, so I shake alot). Would it work to run a slightly larger tap through the holes and use bigger bolts? Any other ideas?

jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you can't weld in new threaded inserts, you could always cut or drill a large enough hole in the side of the frame to be able to slip a nut in. You would end up cutting 3 holes (one for eacj bolt).
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Those are not threaded holes that can be drilled out and retapped. They are industrial-strength threaded inserts.

The correct repair is to remove them and to install new inserts and new bolts.

They are a little pricy, but trust me you DO want the OEM parts if you cen get them. If not, you will have to consider the parts, tools and techniques available to you there to correct.

If your original inserts are serviceable but usable, an expedient repair is to lightly tack weld them to the frame so that they don't spin when you tighten the bolts. This way you can still remove the insert should you decide to replace it.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

im gonna tack on a question that somewhat relates. Where can i get a new skid plate?
Brown6041 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.