TC linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TC linkage

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
swingkid
2009 JK Wrangler 

TC linkage

So i've been reading around and came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the transfer case linkage. I am unable to move the shifter out of 2hi. I want to unhook the linkage to see if I can manually move it out of 2hi. I have this pic to go by.

Now my question is I take off the bolt going to the trunnion should I be able to pull that rod out? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to move any. I blasted everything with pb blast. Any tips would be great. As an observation when I take the shift boot off I can see that the shifter is tweaked to the left but doesn't look like it's hitting anything.

Lockers
Sunrider Top
swingkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Take the rod loose but not by that bolt because it will break.
There should be some kind of retainer on the back side holding it on.
After you get one end off you can tell if its the shifter or the t-case
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingkid
So i've been reading around and came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the transfer case linkage. I am unable to move the shifter out of 2hi. I want to unhook the linkage to see if I can manually move it out of 2hi. I have this pic to go by.

Now my question is I take off the bolt going to the trunnion should I be able to pull that rod out? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to move any. I blasted everything with pb blast. Any tips would be great. As an observation when I take the shift boot off I can see that the shifter is tweaked to the left but doesn't look like it's hitting anything.
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
VT2BAD4U
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The bolt on what you call the trunion, is a set screw. It tightens against the rod to keep in in place. This is for adjusting the shift linkage. Once you free the rod to slide back and forth in the trunion, you should be able to move the lever on the t-case. The rod will not come out of the trunion block as it is "pinched" on the end and won't pull through. If you can't move the lever on the T-case, it is probably stuck with corrosion. Unbolt the lever from the T-case and see if the shifter works freely. If not, it's the pivot bolt rusted up. Take the shifter out, take it apart, and clean and grease it up.
Corroded shaft in T-case will require disassembly of the case. Shaft comes out from the inside.
VT2BAD4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ X2. I was going to write that. Just loosen the set screw.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
swingkid
2009 JK Wrangler 

Okay it must be rusted up cause I took out the set screw and was unable to move the rod even the slightest bit. Thanks for the responses i'll try and do what was recommended.
Lockers
Sunrider Top
swingkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pic you linked to is of my old NP231 & it's linkage. I snapped that pic while I was writing instructions on how to remove the NP231J and swap-in an flat clocked Atlas-II 5.0. It's from my '91 4.0L AX-15 NP-231J. I no longer run an NP231 so the linkage does me no good.

I found the linkage/bracket etc the other day while searching my garage for something else. If you're interested in buying it let me know/make offer.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.