TBI vs. Quadrajet - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TBI vs. Quadrajet

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
That's not the problem though. His carb works great, until he encounters am incline. If he was mudding/sanding I'd aagree. But if he's rock crawling and on an incline for any decent amount of time, or working different lines, his **** will stall.

Sorry guys can't go with you my carb can't handle that trail... Don't worry you can ride in my 2.5l.
The problem is his carb, not carbs in general. Carbs can run at inclines so steep that the fuel pickup un ports if not modded with a flop tube, they will even run upside down if you can keep fuel to it and oil to the engine. (run, not idle )

OP should ditch that elbrk and stick a well tuned qjet on it, or get a manual for that carb and go through it and set it correctly. The simple BBD has 12 to 14 adjustments that need to be made to get it right, OP's carb and Qjets, even more. But it is a known subject with much literature on it.

Unread 02-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #17
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I get where you are coming from. I stuck with a carb until my buddy made me a deal I couldn't resist on a Howell setup. My carb worked as well as any carb could work. The bottom line is, the efi setup on the same motor works better than the carb did.

Technology is not the enemy. Get with the times and you'll wonder why you held out so long.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Galligher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Too many variables to make a "blanket statement". I am in the middle of swapping in a v8 myself and decided on a quadrajet. I was planning on FI but came across a deal I couldn't turn down on a low mile 330hp 350 engine crate (vortec heads). I am a roller LT4 hot cam away from 370hp. The problem with TBI, is that the max hp is around 250 or so before you start having issues. The computer cannot be programmed like an OBDII, thus you need to burn chips (go read on the 3rd gen F-body forums). So if you plan to never touch it again or get the chip burning material (costly) it could be an option. Add to the cost the amount a decent intake for TBI and a 454 throttle body to flow enough for the 330hp... I could have done a stock 350 TBI for the same cost as my carb set-up, but I would have left approx 80 hp on the table with the easy potential for more and I WAS NOT going to do that!

The stock OBDII FI unit for 350 vortecs are high pressure (higher than "normal" FI) with poppet style injectors that can have issues. To me not worth the hassle. I saw the only option as a build it myself FI unit. Again, I have the knowledge/skills but to me it was not worth the cost for the gains over a quadrajet. It has been years since I have rebuilt a carb so it may have been easier to build a FI unit as I have toyed around with Mustangs in recent history. To be honest, I had fun rebuilding the quadrajet as it brought back memories and there is a "cool" factor for me.

If I had a vehicle not shaped like a brick that could use the efficiency for more than 1-2 mpg gain, if I had plans to supercharge/turbocharge, or if I was going to constantly be at high angles I would have been more influenced to FI.
If you do not have plans to go above 250hp or so and not a vortec style head, TBI is an option. I would even consider port FI off a 5.7 corvette, Camaro, or TA.
Unread 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #19
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i to have a 350 in my yj. had the edelbrock 600 swapped to a holley truck avenger.. do yourself a favor and check out affordable fuel injection. i just swapped there tbi kit on two weeks ago and I'm in love with it!!! check them out. no matter what you do to a carb, at the end of the day its still a carb. this kit should be a crime to install its that dang easy. i paid 940 shipped and ordered fuel pump, new braided fuel line and an fittings from summit for a total of just shy of 1200 bucks. in my book well worth it. runs great, looks good and a breeze to install. i have the install in my build thread. you could also do a junk yard tbi swap. just my opinion.
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:26 AM   #20
treefiddyYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. It looks like I'm going with the TBI. I found a guy who hoards Chevy parts and convinced him to sell me a throttle body, distributor, wiring harness, computer, and intake off an '89 350 for $200.
treefiddyYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ask him if he has another set up he wants to sell. That's cheaper than a carb only. Sounds like a fun project.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.