TBI vs. Quadrajet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TBI vs. Quadrajet

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
treefiddyYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

TBI vs. Quadrajet

I'm looking for some opinions/experiences. I put a chevy 350 in my 95 YJ a few years ago, and I've been running it with an Edelbrock 600 carb. It runs like ***** on the slightest incline so it's time to replace something.

My options are to buy a rebuilt Qjet and adapt it to my square bore intake or put a tbi system on the engine.

The price difference would only be $100-$200 (with the tbi setup being more expensive).

The Qjet would basically be a swap and go (with a little tuning).

If I put tbi on it I would buy a pulled motor along with the wiring and computer and swap everything onto my 350.

I still have the original electric fuel pump in my Jeep which is currently regulated down for the carb so that wouldn't be an issue. However, I would have to swap in some sensors and such so it would be a bit more work than installing a Qjet.

Is the tbi setup worth the extra work?

treefiddyYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
aviationofficer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I recommend the Quadrajet. Some people say the Quadrajet is a bad carburettor buts its really not. Just by a good rebuild kit. I also recommend buying a manual on how to rebuild and modify the Quadrajet. They run from about $10 to $20 on ebay. If you rebuild and tune it right, it will be a great carburettor and your 350 will run great!
aviationofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quadrajet is a great carb. I liked it on my old truck and swapped a holley odd to go back to one. Great off road too. But, fuel injection is a lot better. You really cannot beat it and your jeep will run upside down with it and have zero fuel related problems
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

But, I would run the qjet just because I get tired of wiring and hate messing with that type of stuff
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
YJRyan
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am new here but all my previous mechanical experience is with GM's. The Q-Jet is a great carb when tuned correctly. If you go that route just make sure to clean well and get the correct rebuild kit. The Q-jet manuals have lots of good tips and tricks. You may still have the problems with inclines as the Edelbrock design is similar to the Q-jet.

If you are not afraid of the wiring and extra work the TBI would be better off road. Make sure your donor setups intake will fit the heads you have also.
YJRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is a better carb than the Quadrajet and that is the earlier Rochester 4 Jet carb. It is square bore, equal primary and secondaries and completely mechanical. It was used on lmid-fifties to early-sixties Chevys, Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, etc. You will get more torque and economy out of this carb and it will not bog down like a Quadrajet can when the big secondaries open. Quadrajets are good for raw power, 4 Jets are good for drining finesse and that is what you need off-road.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

as your biggest complaint is problems on inclines I'd go with the tbi. I'm a carb guy and luv my holley but this is the one area where FI is by far the best.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you prefer night or day? That's what you are comparing. If you wheel, EFI hands down.

End of story
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

EFI. period.

The whole reason you created this thread is because the carb cant hang on a minor incline... so what happens when you try a bigger incline with a better carb? annnnnnnnd die.

Would you bore and stroke a 2.5L? or pickup a 4.0/v8 ?
Unread 02-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

EFI is great if know basic wiring and can follow a logic diagram. Ranch I used to work for was in the sierra foothills on some steep terrain, they had a fleet of old chevy's I maintained all with the 350 and qjet and never had a problem with them once you get them properly tuned in. I just swapped a 4.0 into my 87 and love the cold morning starts right away aspect.
brianandcara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Qjet. Simplicity beats complexity every time.

It is popular enough that spares are all but free, and tons of tuning instructions and tips and tricks on the net.

Large fuel bowl is not as sensitive to incline issues as the smaller carbs.
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Qjet. Simplicity beats complexity every time.
Except at an angle.

I ran a weber for years on my Jeep. It was great, cranked right up, ran well at angles offroad. Swapped to Howell efi and it is better in every way.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Except at an angle.

I ran a weber for years on my Jeep. It was great, cranked right up, ran well at angles offroad. Swapped to Howell efi and it is better in every way.
Can you replace your entire fuel system for under $75? I can.

And this whole "won't run on inclines" is mostly bull. 99.99% of the Jeeps never see or experience such conditions. Of Those that do, they end up needing extensive body work to repair roll over damage. BTDT
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's not the problem though. His carb works great, until he encounters am incline. If he was mudding/sanding I'd aagree. But if he's rock crawling and on an incline for any decent amount of time, or working different lines, his **** will stall.

Sorry guys can't go with you my carb can't handle that trail... Don't worry you can ride in my 2.5l.
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
tiptoptune

whatever gets you wheelin quickest. Qjet and adapter - hood clearance?
tiptoptune is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.