Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TBI vs MPI

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SnowdogMarc 
#1 ·
Hello All...

How hard would it be to convert a 2.5L TBI to MPI? If possible, would it be worth doing? Current motor runs good, just not much power.

Also, has anyone installed those "Yella Terra Roller Rockers"? Was it worth it? Did you get more power?

do you:wave:?

#5 ·
Throwing money into a 2.5L is a .......Its a common mantra from most peple here. The fact is that the TBI and the MPFI were only about 10 HP difference at best. That being said the fact the MPFI has diagnostics and the fuse layout gets rid of the links is a big advantage if you're going to keep it and if in the future you want to put the 4.0L in it then you only need to add the 2 injector wires to it to make the wiring harness ready for the new motor.

#7 ·
I did it in mine because I didn't have the money for a complete drive train swap for the 4.3 at the time. You do need to change the fuel pump, I removed the in tank one and put one on the frame rail. Hardest part of the swap is figuring out the wiring but once that's done your good to go. I find it starts better and runs smoother than the TBI 2.5, power is not much more but the throttle response is instant. Was worth it to me esp since the motor I got has no leaks at all :)

I do hate how everyone puts down the 2.5. I've wheeled with guys and had them ask me how I like the 6 halfway through the day...I tell them I wouldn't know, I've only got the four. Nobody believes it goes and does as good as it does with only a 2.5 :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.