Taurus Fan Swap - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taurus Fan Swap

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #31
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen a couple mentions of the Volvo relay and Saab controllers, but no one has said what models and years to get them from. . .or is it not important. . .electrical isn't my forte. I'm not afraid to do it, it's just not my favorite thing to mess around with.

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
350SBC/TH350/NP205, 14-bolt rear/D60 front
40" BFG MTR's on H2 8-lugs
atomicjoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #32
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjoe23
I've seen a couple mentions of the Volvo relay and Saab controllers, but no one has said what models and years to get them from. . .or is it not important. . .electrical isn't my forte. I'm not afraid to do it, it's just not my favorite thing to mess around with.
Saab is for the inline radiator hose housing and the Volvo switch is I believe any Volvo with an efan. Only certain saabs have the housing. I got mine from a mid 90s 900 model. There tough to find though. The Volvo relays seem to be more common. Just follow the fan wiring to the relay

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #33
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
Also, the reason I ask about it turning off is that some come on when it only passes a certain temp, but do not shut off it the high fan is about to kick on. If I have two of them running I do not see why I would want power going to both the high and low at the same time, it should be one or the other.
Most setups running the 2spd fan run like this and it works ok. I tested mine and found that running power to both high and low did make the fan run a little slower than running just high speed. I'm sure it doesn't help the amp draw either since the high is basically being dragged slower by the low, but I never tested amp draw to be sure.

I was able to resolve this by adding a SPDT relay in front of the low speed switch power. This relay is ON until power is applied to the switch terminal, so when my controller turns on High speed, this applies switch power to the SPDT relay and turns off the switch power for the low speed relay.

I have set up a completely reliable controller/relay combo to run my fans and it has been working great for many years. For the fan relays I have 2 HD relays I bought from a robotics website that are rated for 150amps cont. (I think something like $20 each but it was 10 years ago), a Haden 2spd fan controller, and the SPDT relay. It works great, is adjustable, and the only failure I've had was a cheap parts store fan controller I ran for about 8 years before I installed the 2spd controller.

That said, I'm in the process of swapping to a Volvo fan and controller since I had to pull my radiator for an unrelated project (I've had the parts for months). There is nothing wrong with what I've been running, but the Volvo controller is clean and simple. I'm going to pick up a couple extra relay packs from the junk yard as spares just in case. Since this setup is new to me I can't comment on the reliability so I want to have extras to be safe.

If you have questions about the Volvo controller, there is another thread with tons of info specific to that.

Just for kicks, here is everything I have been using to run my fan. Again, it has been 100% reliable, and if there was a failure it's simple to bypass and run manually, but it's complex to say the least.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #34
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This post is a little old but in looking into this swap the 90-95 Taurus radiator is almost 4 inches wider that my wrangler. How is everyone fitting these fans ? My radiator is 18 X 20.
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #35
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Turn the fan upside down and it will fit like it was made for it. Almost perfect fit.
jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #36
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9oig View Post
This post is a little old but in looking into this swap the 90-95 Taurus radiator is almost 4 inches wider that my wrangler. How is everyone fitting these fans ? My radiator is 18 X 20.
Read this if you haven't already..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #37
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9oig View Post
In the thread that NHFire, has linked to a couple of times there is also a link to a video from Pirate that uses a Volvo fan. The Taurus fan I had crapped out and I ended up getting the Volvo fan, exact same fan from what I could tell except it is removable from the shroud. I had some clearance issues to start with so the Volvo fan made it relatively easy using a home built shroud.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #38
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had better luck finding the Volvo fan and radiator than I did the Taurus stuff. . .the fan wouldn't fit (with the shroud) behind the radiator because of the width of the radiator, but I reversed the ground and supply wires and mounted the fan in front of the radiator as a pusher instead of behind as a puller. It's not what I would have preferred, but in this orientation I was able to mount the radiator using a combination of the stock YJ mounting points and two relocation brackets from a 2" body lift kit that had been previously installed. The fan/shroud installed using pre-existing holes in the grille shell. . .the only relocating I had to do was relocate the power steering reservoir. Other than the PS reservoir the only other "custom" work require (wiring aside) was to go to the auto parts store and get them to let me wonder back around in their coolant hoses until I found two hoses (I saved the part numbers, but I don't know what they are off of) that I could cut and use with two straight aluminum coolant coupling pipes to connect the radiator to the stock water pump.

I would have preferred to run the fan behind the radiator as a pusher, but even with it installed in front of the radiator it takes FOREVER for the coolant temperature to rise high enough for the fan to kick on in the first place, once it has kicked on I could sit in traffic for hours if I had to without ever worrying about the temperature going up. . .and that's on low, I installed mine with a bypass off switch for water crossing and I intentionally turned the fan off until the coolant temp hit the red, flipped the fan on high and it dropped the temperature back down to normal extremely quickly. . .almost amazingly quickly. Much better than the tired stock radiator and mechanical fan that were in there before.

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #39
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You may be the only person to put the actual radiator in too. I'm pretty sure everyone else I've seen do this (myself included) kept the YJ radiator. But if it works for you that's a good thing.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #40
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it is in front it restricts flow of air and pushes it away from the radiator. Everything above 30 is not the rad fan it's air flow across the radiator.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I realize that Que89YJ. . .that's why I said I would have preferred to mount the fan as a puller instead of a pusher, but it's shrouded so any air it collects is pushed through the radiator not around it. . .and the improvements I was talking about are while the vehicle is standing still (stuck in traffic) or at a crawl (on the trail or stuck in traffic). . .

. . .I had to replace the radiator because the mounting bracket on the passenger side of the stock radiator had broken off. . .the aluminum Volvo radiator was WAY cheaper than an aluminum YJ replacement radiator.

Is it the best set-up. . .no, but it is an improvement over what was there before and I learned a LOT about automotive wiring along the way so it was a very worthwhile modification for me, and my situation.

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #42
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
You may be the only person to put the actual radiator in too. I'm pretty sure everyone else I've seen do this (myself included) kept the YJ radiator. But if it works for you that's a good thing.
I never said I was putting the radiator in from a Taurus but generally the shroud is as wide as the radiator. Unless you are referring to the guy stating the Volo rad was cheaper I thought they were wider too.
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #43
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The width of the Volvo shroud wasn't a problem for me, but the thickness was. I just trimmed about 2" from the front of the shroud to slim it down and was able to mount it to the back of the radiator just fine.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #44
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The Volvo radiator is wider. . .which meant it didn't fit inside the grill shell, if it weren't shrouded that wouldn't have mattered, but with the shroud it pushed the electric fans far enough back I wasn't 100% sure they would clear the crank pulley studs. If I removed the pulley and installed shorter studs (since the mechanical fan isn't there anymore) then I could probably mount the fans as pushers behind the radiator.

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #45
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjoe23 View Post

the volvo fan and relay you can find on Any Volvo 850 1993-1997 and any Volvo S70 / V70 1998-2000. Ive owned and worked on them for about 10 years and they should be easy enough to find in the Junk Yards now days as the older 7xx series are getting harder to find

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.