Taurus Fan Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taurus Fan Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Taurus Fan Swap

So I am forgetting anything here. I found info in other threads scattered around the internet. I need a Taurus Fan off a 90-95 3.9. I need a temp probe with a switch to set my temps. I need a couple of relays, and a kill switch for my dash if I want to turn it off when going through deep water.

Am I missing anything at all?? This is kinda unexpected. I only plan on doing this now because my water pump crapped out on me yesterday and my fan shroud is already busted. I figure I will leave the fan off the new water pump and not put the fan shroud back in. Just go with the electric fan instead.

I was also considering a larger pulley for the water pump to increase HP.

95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

IHMO, I wouldn't bother with changing pulley size... if that's the only pully you're changing, you won't get any noticeable HP increase, you'll only be affecting the rate of coolant flow.

If you go with the setup you mentioned you should be fine... yes, stock shroud goes in the trash (or other non-Jeep location) as the electric fan has the shroud built as part of the housing.

I didn't bother with temp probes or anything... I got 2 relays and 2 toggle switches... low speed goes through a switch feeding a relay that is normally on with ignition power. the switch there is to turn it OFF if I need for water crossing - also helps warm up a little quicker on mornings when it's brutally cold out.

high speed goes through a switch to a relay and is normally off. if/when I see the temp gauge climb (and stay) above 210, then I'll turn it on for a min. In the year or so since I installed the fan, I've only had to run it on high for about 10 min total - mid August on some back roads up a real long windy hill.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You're kidding right? Soooo may threads

This is such a simple way to do it...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/

Taurus fan
Volvo relay
Saab, inline, thermo switch adapter

Beck/Arnley Thermo Fan Switch
Part No. 201-1266
60 amp fan relay (most use a 40amp http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-zfra )
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfireyj View Post
you're kidding right? Soooo may threads

this is such a simple way to do it...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/

taurus fan
volvo relay
saab, inline, thermo switch adapter

beck/arnley thermo fan switch
part no. 201-1266
60 amp fan relay (most use a 40amp http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-zfra )
x2

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah threads and writeups all with conflicting info. One thing I do not want is to be manually turning it off and on, or having it on all the time. At highway speeds it is not needed so it seems like a waste of energy to have my alternator powering it.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Probe type controllers like this one work fine. Use this to control the relay on your low speed side.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-3653/overview/
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Probe type controllers like this one work fine. Use this to control the relay on your low speed side.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-3653/overview/
So with that would I buy two and wire one to high speed and one to low speed?
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am still a fan of the volvo relay setup..... the saab part is hard to find from what I hear but worth it in simplicity, dang near plug and play....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
So with that would I buy two and wire one to high speed and one to low speed?
right, two relays. one for high and one for low.

I use an on-off-on switch with one direction to energize the controller which in turn controls the low relay. The other direction operates the high speed relay.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
jrhdpaintball
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I also added the cherokee water pump and pulley...added room if you have a 6cyl...look up leans write up if interested
jrhdpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
Yeah threads and writeups all with conflicting info. One thing I do not want is to be manually turning it off and on, or having it on all the time. At highway speeds it is not needed so it seems like a waste of energy to have my alternator powering it.
1st. I hope you are / have upgraded your alternator.

2nd. at highway speed there is enough air arcross the radiator to cool the engine, thus the fan would/ should not be running, That is what the temp probe does for you.

3. if you use the volvo controller it'll turn on/off automatically as demanded by the engine, There fore you won't be manually turning it off and on, or having it on all the time.

4. You'll probably want to be able to turn it OFF manual if you do water crossings so you don't damage it...
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine like the write up posted above. I'll agree with NHFireYJ 100% here. That is the cheapest / easiest by far method to go IMHO. You can get everything you need from a pick-n-pull for under $50. Even if you get a new switch it's like $6 from Rock Auto.

I also did a toggle switch on the dash to cut the ground to the circuit in case I need it for a deep water crossing or whatever.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
right, two relays. one for high and one for low.

I use an on-off-on switch with one direction to energize the controller which in turn controls the low relay. The other direction operates the high speed relay.
So I got the fan installed and working, but I only did an on/off to low through a relay. So my switch and relay can stay, I am now ready to put in the temp sensors and configure those. Here is my questions though, what happens if power goes to both the high and low at the same time? Any damage or anything? I am thinking if I have low running from 185-215, then the high kicks in, can I set the temp control to turn off the low at 215, or will it just come on and stay on if the temps are over 185? I am just trying to make sure I do this correctly the first time. Also, what is the best location for the temp sensor? Can I use one sensor and split it to both control units? Thanks for the help.
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I was doing some research and it seems the probe that comes with that temp controller is not able to be installed inside the radiator hose? Just making sure that is correct. I see it on Amazon for $15, but a reveiw specifically says you cannot do that. I want inline just cause I know radiator probes are not accurate, at least not accurate enough for me to feel comfortable installing it and spending all the money to do it.
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is that a hayden controller? You want the low speed on. It should come on between 195-200. You want it to stay on no lower then 185. The high speed depends on the controller. I have never had a need for it but you can wire the high speed up through the second relay and a switch to control it. Seriously though, I have never needed it and I don't think you will either unless you are doing desert crawls.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.