Taurus fan power requirements - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taurus fan power requirements

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #16
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-T
I guess you are running the 4.2 motor. I don't recall a port to install a temperature sensor it. I have a SBC so there is a spare plug in the passenger side head. I bought a switch from Summit Racing that is supposed to close at 200* and open at 185* if I remember correctly. My thermostat is a 195*.

I have an issue with my setup because either the temperature switch is opening early, or there is much difference in temperatures in the motor. The fan starts at about 190*, the thermostat open at 195* and the temperature stays at about 195* so the fan is always running. I ordered a DC Controls controller in the hopes that I can get it set to keep the motor between 195* and 200* with the fan running at a slower speed. I will be measuring the temperature in the fins near the inlet to the radiator so the fan will not start until the thermostat opens and I hope it will regulate the fan speed to keep it as noted above.

Actually that makes sense. If the switch is set to 185 and the thermostat is set to 195 then the fan will never shut off. Probably would be better to have a switch that turns off at 195 and on at 200. One problem with that though is that they are not that exact, switches can vary by 5-10 degrees.

Having said all that it still comes back to what seems like the better option of measuring the radiator temp. I am seriously tempted to braze a bung in the radiator for a sensor there.

As I mentioned originally I am going to wire up with a manual switch for now and get a feel for how often the fan needs to come on before I do anything with a sensor. After that my plan is to use a thre position switch on-off-on. First position to auto operation, then off, then manual high speed.

jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #17
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Hayden "fin" type probe. I don't know where I should put it. I have an aftermarket radiator and the fins seem too close together to shove the little Ziptie thing they sent with it through there. I have heard about people just JB welding it to the radiator. That might be a little permanent for me (don't want to have to buy a new radiator if there is a problem. I have also heard about people putting the probe inside the top radiator hose. I kind of like that one but am concerned about it leaking or the probe lead getting damaged. What methods have you guys all used? And how well have they worked?
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #18
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did all the current measurements and posted them a while back. If you are doing the Tarus fan I would go with the Hayden controller(Cheap but funtional) because it is capable of dealing with the slow speed current from the fan. Wire it uop as designed. The conroller does have a high side for the AC you can use it to control a higher current relay or in my case I used a solid state relay that is stiched. The inrush is very high in the high speed but the amount of air that fan can move is nothing short of incredible and overkill for 99% of what you do with your Jeep. My .02
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #19
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the controller and it will be actuating a higher amp relay, I think I have all that under control. I just don't know the best way to attach the probe to the radiator or in the top hose. I would like to know how other people have mounted it. I like the idea of putting it in the top hose I'm just wanting to know if anyone has had any trouble with leaking or damaging the lead off the probe. Oh yeah, the controller has two terminals, that aren't labeled. does it matter? Or does anyone know which one should go to ground and which one should go to the relay?
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.