Taurus Electric Fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taurus Electric Fan

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Taurus Electric Fan

I am currently doing the electric fan mod. I am wondering which controller to use. I have heard about the extreme voltage and current isssues so I am using the resources of the lab to look at the current and voltage claims for the fan. My first measurements for continuous draw for the fan are:
Low Speed -15 amps
High Speed -30 amps
I am surprise at the level because it makes many of the off the shelf fan controllers look like a good option. The next measurement will be the inrush current. I will post the results after I take the measurements.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got some bosch 75amp continuous duty relays and used the flex-a-lite controller to switch on the low speed and a manual setting for high and off. Lots of opinions on the probe type controllers but they are cheap and effective and adjustable. Got my relays here for about $18/each. ww.solarseller.com

I had considered a temp switch setup in the water flow but there were no avalable openings plus those switches are only accurate to within 10-15 degrees wich is a potential swing of 30.

Last consideration, for me anyway, was that I have an auto transmission. Meaning that when fan is not running the transmission cooler is not getting air so it can run a little hot. I am thinking to do a smaller fan for just that eventually.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I am currently doing the electric fan mod. I am wondering which controller to use. I have heard about the extreme voltage and current isssues so I am using the resources of the lab to look at the current and voltage claims for the fan. My first measurements for continuous draw for the fan are:
Low Speed -15 amps
High Speed -30 amps
I am surprise at the level because it makes many of the off the shelf fan controllers look like a good option. The next measurement will be the inrush current. I will post the results after I take the measurements.
That's continuous draw, what did you read on startup?
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Taurus fan

Inrush current:
Low - 37 amps peak 1.3 secs to nominal current of 15 amps
High - 80 amps peak 1.5 sec to nominal current of 30 amps
These were all measured with a standard Chrysler relay at the battery.
Then I used a Crydom Solid State Relay(SCR) to control the input and it dropped both inrush currents by 1/3. This is the same type of transistor used by the PWM controllers. It means that the PWM controllers for the low side fan can be used with any controller that can hold 30 amps comfortably.

I wanted to by the Spal V3 and I didnt want to buy it without knowing I wouldn't cook it with the Mod. My order is in.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am using a DCC controller.(http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm)
It takes care of the power spikes by slowly ramping up the power to the fan, this does away with the spike.
The controller only runs the fan as fast as it needs for the cooling, it has it's own thermostat too.
It takes a few weeks to get one though, as they are custom made.
Here is mine...The dangly yellow wire is now hooked up, it is the power cut-off for the fan hooked to an in cab switch.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

which contoller do you have? I just got a taurus fan for free the other day and was looking at putting it in but I'm kinda tight on space in my engine bay.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.