Taurus E-fan upgrade. Electrical anomalies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taurus E-fan upgrade. Electrical anomalies

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 06-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
socko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Taurus E-fan upgrade. Electrical anomalies

Short Version:
The electric fan is getting power directly from the battery via a solenoid, and controlled by thermostatic controller. If I apply the power to the HIGH (blue wire) side, my voltmeter reads that I am getting 16 volts coming out of the unused LOW (brown wire) side. If I switch it up and apply the power to the LOW side, the HIGH side has 8 volts coming out of it. This doesn't seem normal?

Longer Version:
A week ago I removed the stock cooling fan and I did the Ford Taurus electric fan upgrade. It has been working great thus far and I am very impressed with the results. But...

I have been running the fan on HIGH (blue wire) only, getting power directly from the battery via a solenoid and using a thermostatic fan control to turn the fan on and off based on temps.

After being satisfied with how everything was working, I decided to wire it up to take full advantage of both the HIGH and LOW speeds it offers. Before making any changes to my current setup I was messing around with a voltmeter, and with the fan running on HIGH getting power through the blue wire, I am reading 16 volts coming through the unused LOW (brown wire) side. If I switch it around so that the LOW wire is getting power, I am getting 8.5 volts coming through the HIGH side.

I dont know much about electric fans, but this does not seem right to me. Is this situation normal? Thanks for the help, and reading all of that.

socko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the back feed or even the color of wires, it has been awhile since i installed mine. I don't know if it helps any but this is basically how I ran mine but without the diode and I added a few more LEDs to show when the fan is on. Hope it helps you out..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
socko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply.
Is their supposed to be a picture or a link? I don't see anything.
Unread 06-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oops yea..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...rk-vii-506679/
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Due to the fan being an electric motor, you are going to get feedback current in the unused armature of the two speed fan. I would not be surprised if you saw 8 and 16 volts on the opposing circuit due to the variations in speed. I installed a rectifier in my low speed circuit to try and minimize feedback current, but I still have enough coming through to trip a relay.

I know this because I initially wired my low fan on LED to the + side of the circuit. My LED would turn on when the fan was being turned by air moving the fan at speed. Even though power to the fan was off. I rewired the relay to work off the fan relay ground and it now works as intended. Hope this helps.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
socko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmith1174 View Post
Due to the fan being an electric motor, you are going to get feedback current in the unused armature of the two speed fan. I would not be surprised if you saw 8 and 16 volts on the opposing circuit due to the variations in speed. I installed a rectifier in my low speed circuit to try and minimize feedback current, but I still have enough coming through to trip a relay.
Where did you place the diode when you added one? Same place as the post above?

I found this image elsewhere on the internet, ignoring everything else, do the placement of the two diodes on the right look correct?

EDIT: I see now that both this schematic, and the schematic posted previously have diodes in the same place. This just has one added on the HIGH side.

I dont understand how placing a diode there will help. In that position wont it just stop current from reaching ground? Maybe someone can clear this up for me.

Last edited by socko; 06-05-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Tags
electrical , fan , wrangler yj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.