Tapping/knocking from front right corner of axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tapping/knocking from front right corner of axle?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tapping/knocking from front right corner of axle?

Hey guys,
I have a 1989 yj wrangler, and it's kind of always had this loud clicking noise from the right front corner of the axle. Just recently the noise got louder, though, so i took the tire off and it looks like it's coming from a bearing or maybe a bushing going out. when looking towards the engine there's a really loose round piece of metal around/on the u-joint spindle thing that spins and knocks around. it looks to be like inside/towards me of the carrier but behind the u joints like right where the axle opens up. I'm out of town for a week so i can't get any pictures up right now, but i will once i get back if i need to.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong and/or which part(s) i need to replace? I believe it's a dana 44 axle which is what was oem for this model if i remember right (correct me if i'm wrong).
Thanks, i would really appreciate any input!

()_)=o()_)=o=)_)__-_-__-__-_-___
jeep_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
laredojo
2002 WJ 

sounds like the axel ujoint has given up the ghost. you will need to replace it. or have it replaced. pictures would help.
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That would make sense. I actually ended up having a chance to snap a quick picture before I have to officially leave:

It's hard to see, but it's to the right of where it's all greasy.
What do you guys think? Thanks!
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Look to the left where the internals of the u-joint have ground themselves into dust and the rusted metal dust is bright pinkish/red.

Install a new u-joint.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
jayvando707
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Look to the left where the internals of the u-joint have ground themselves into dust and the rusted metal dust is bright pinkish/red.

Install a new u-joint.
Yep! Thats it! Just had the same thing happen to me not too long ago... i was like "what the hell is that sound!?"

Do both sides!
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay thanks guys! I planned on both haha.
Thanks a bunch!
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Question.. Where isn a good place to get these joints from? And how hard would it be to swap them out? I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined.
Thanks!
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most auto parts stores sell cheap parts and quality parts. I prefer the good stuff at NAPA for almost all my Jeep parts. The u-joints at Advanced/IdiotZone are cheap, and tend to wear out quickly. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Buy, rent, or borrow a ball joint press and use that to replace the u-joint. The ball joint press is faster and easier than pounding on u-joints with a hammer and some sockets.

read the linked info –

Unit Bearing - 1
D-30 Axle Shaft Removal
U-Joint Replacement - 1
DELTA 4X4 CLUB TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT - U-JOINT REPLACEMENT

Harbor Freight U-Joint Tool
3-in-1 Ball Joint/U-Joint/C-Frame Press Service Kit

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Be very very careful. if you have to drive do not go fast and stay away from other drivers.

When your u joint goes your wheel very well may fly off.

When the front u joint breaks it may or will grind into the other side of the joint and break your wheel off of the ball joints. I have seen it happen, too often.

Most of us would prefer that you park it until you fix it. You are now taking your life and the life of others in your hands.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_maniack View Post
I believe it's a dana 44 axle which is what was oem for this model if i remember right (correct me if i'm wrong).
Thanks, i would really appreciate any input!
I don't think that YJ's ever had a D44 front. There were a limited number on Candian YJ's that had a D44 rear though. The standard front axle was the D30 for all years of the YJ.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
When your u joint goes your wheel very well may fly off.

When the front u joint breaks it may or will grind into the other side of the joint and break your wheel off of the ball joints. I have seen it happen, too often.
In 2wd there is no pressure on the u-joint and it will make tons of warning noise before it lets loose.

A failed u-joint causing the wheel to fall off is highly unlikely. It is more of possibility when 4x4 is engaged, but still rather unlikely.

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay thanks guys! I appreciate all of the input! So I should still replace then joints if they aren't what are causing the clicking noise andnthey aren't what is loose? I'll get a video up of what it's doing so you can see for sure. It just seems like it's coming from the shaft being loose, not the joint bearings etc. Themselves.
Thanks!

EDIT:
So i took the tire off again and looked at it. the u-joint is loose, but would that cause the whole u-joint shaft to knock around the inside of the axle?
Thanks again!
Unread 08-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, got the video.. Is it normal for the whole shaft to move around like that with the u-joint just being loose? i can definitely see how it would since it's done, but i just mean like should it be moving that much? it's kind of a dumb question because i'm sure that it is normal since the joint is shot, but i just want your guys' input.

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=DSCN0309.mp4

Thanks again!
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
laredojo
2002 WJ 

no video.
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
In 2wd there is no pressure on the u-joint and it will make tons of warning noise before it lets loose.

A failed u-joint causing the wheel to fall off is highly unlikely. It is more of possibility when 4x4 is engaged, but still rather unlikely.
Tim, there is lots of pressure on the front u joints, less on a stock Yj granted. If you have a solid front axle like most 4wd vehicles. Then it does not matter if you are in 4wd or not. The pressure is there on the u joint.

I understand your logic, and no offence Tim, but in this case you are wrong. I have seen it happen more than one time. When the u joint goes it meshes with the other side same as if you threw a wrench into moving gears. The mesh breaks outward and the ball joints get the force and the wheel fall off. You do not have to be in 4wd for this to happen. In 4wd it will happen very quick.

Recently a cousin of mine was talking to me on the phone while driving on the highway. He was asking me what the noise could be from his front end. (The u joint broke) anyway before we could get any further in the conversation, he dropped his phone and I listened to the result. His wheel broke away and took off down the highway. A bad front u joint is very dangerous. To be honest anything bad in the front end is dangerous.

After looking at the video. what I see is not normal at all. Please fix it ASAP.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.