talk me out of rough country - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > talk me out of rough country

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #61
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

a lot of good info and perspectives here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
The question was who was at fault for your springs riding so badly.
Again i never asked that question. im sorry that the point of the post escaped you.

Ive been doing this for 33yrs and have used all manner and brand of leaf springs. ill post some strong opinions from time to time to get people thinking and debating. This encourages people to be more criticle of the build choices they make rather then simply following the latest trend like sheep. Since i posted, there have been a lot of good input on this subject.

roadyrob; Totally agree you definitely get what you pay for. Some springs are naturally going to fit peoples parameters better then others. Ive never been concerned about lift height. ive always liked a spring to sag and always noticed that they work better that way. I have a 2.5" set that is almost flat and id say they are just right. I will always cut before lifting anyways.

johnnyzj; Agree 100%.

Idaho; The shocks are a different debate although i would absolutely agree RC shocks as well as any "lift kit" shock, will not be helping in the least. i was just debating springs themselves. I never use lift kit shocks. Anyone who wants a working suspension should use a middle grade and above unit made by a company who makes shocks exclusively. Ill go so far as to say if you want a suspension that rides nice and flexes well you need to redesign how the shocks are mounted also.

ripper; ive tested a fair amount of military wrap and semi wrap springs and for my own i cut them off. they grind and limit flex way too much for me. I do believe they have a good purpose, however. Hold on i might sound like I'm contradicting myself again but there is a point. This is where the application of the jeep becomes the guiding principle for the build rather then strictly performance. If one were to build an expeditionary jeep designed to travel deep into uninhabited places with no support, one that will never see a trailer, and might travel solo, then a military wrap spring would be a good choice. Durability would become more important then performance.

Anticanman;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
. There are countless threads (or just individual's posts) of people who went from stock to rough country and swapped again to another manufacturer like BDS and were happiest with the end result.
This is true and ive seen the posts and this is good input into this discussion. out of the box id agree i wouldnt choose an RC spring over another even BDS. I would, however never use a spring right out of the box. i even move perches as i find most spring companies make their units too short compared to the arch of the spring.

Unread 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #62
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
Idaho; The shocks are a different debate although i would absolutely agree RC shocks as well as any "lift kit" shock, will not be helping in the least. i was just debating springs themselves. I never use lift kit shocks and anyone who wants a working suspension should use a middle grade and above unit made by a company who makes shocks exclusively. Ill go so far as to say if you want a suspension that rides nice and flexes well you need to redesign how the shocks are mounted as well.
I will agree, but I would like to chime in here with my two-cents worth.

I have discovered that some lift shocks aren't designed for the particular application, but rather to match a general parameter of specs for various applications that utilize the same type of mounting points, i.e. Ford shocks used on a Jeep application due to the fact that they are a longer body and a longer stroke to allow for the use on a lifted Jeep. BUT, the valving is too stiff because it was designed for a heavier vehicle that forces the shocks to work harder in order to recover from a sudden jolt, like a dip or a bump. When fullsize rig shocks are used on a light weight rig, like our little YJ's then the valving is too stiff to allow for a "smoother" absorption transition, thus making it "feel" like that the springs are too stiff, when in fact it's the stiffer valving within the shocks.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #63
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

absolutely. if you look at say procomp, all their shocks are the same thing just in different mounts and lengths. one valving fits all approach.
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #64
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
absolutely. if you look at say procomp, all their shocks are the same thing just in different mounts and lengths. one valving fits all approach.
I have forgotten where I have seen the literature on this, but it has been many years since I have seen it (when I use to work for an auto parts store or three). But, as I recall, this statement holds true, only because it is easier to mass-produce a few needed part numbers to fit a wide range of applications than it is to produce numerous product numbers to cover all makes, models, and rate of dampening. Sort of a one-size-fits-all type of thing.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.