talk me out of rough country - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > talk me out of rough country

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

talk me out of rough country

ok, here's the blunt deal call me whatever you want lol.

i like to pick up a cheap, usually beaten wrangler and fix it up in the spring (now) drive it all summer, then flip it in fall, usually at a profit.
i've been quite successful at this thus far, and i have a gem that i just picked up. i think
its a 92 YJ 4l. needs a bunch of stuff to make it good to go again, but i have that covered.

my crossroads is i want (always want to) lift and run either 33s or JK takeoffs 32 (with adapters i know)

problem is, i know whatever $$$$ i sink into it for lifts and stuff i won't get back.
so i'm looking at RC lifts. the 2.5" and adding greaseable shackles to run said tire.
other ideas i've been looking at are add a leafs and said shackles. overall about 3" of lift. the stock springs i have are brand newish.

now, i'm not one to cheap out on this kind of stuff; my ZJ can attest to that. but are the RC springs that bad?

i've been out of the YJ game a few years now; so looking for other opinions. last YJ i did i just ordered the RE heavy duty one with military wrap springs.

i wanted to keep lift around 500 - 600$

cheers

13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes they are that bad. Go with BDS or OME they can be peiced together for close to the same price as a RC lift.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
g_oneill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the RC 2.5 on my YJ for about 6 months found them very good for the price. I then replaced them with the 4" springs because they said they were a softer ride. They have been on for a year and the left side rear sags a bit. I will replace them with a different brand soon.

If you want my 2.5" springs I would sell them. 32" tires fit nice, but would fit a little better with about an extra 1/2 inch.
imag0556.jpg  
g_oneill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
ZzarkZul
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a '93 YJ with a 2.5" RC lift with their shocks. With the track bars and sway bar removed, it rides a hell of a lot nicer than stock.

Having said that, my rear right spring angle shim shattered into 4 peices, falling out 1 by 1. Luckily I caught this when I was doing routine tightening of the u bolts. It probably wouldn't have ended so good if I didn't catch that. It took 4 phone calls and 2 e-mails to get a replacement a month later. (this was about a month ago, have had the lift for ~10 months now)

If I upgrade or change springs I would go Old Man Emu.

Hope this helps.
ZzarkZul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think you have your answer.
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nope Not bad at all, ive run them on 2 yj's and had 0 Issues with them

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Toby36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if you are just going to flip it go with rough country if you are going to keep it spend a lil more money. I have a tj so the lift is different, but they dont really stick to their warrenty policy, their customer service sucks and in the 2 years i have had my jeep i have had four different sets of control arms on it. so just to sum it up THEY SUCK and so do thier lifts that is what I think at least
Toby36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

local offroad shop quoted me 475$ for bushings and RE 2.5" springs which i feel isn't bad. on the shelf is nice too

waiting on a quote for OME............

i should just put a credit card down and not look. probably easier lol

any thoughts on Zone springs? everything i've read they are a knockoff of BDS.....
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I think it was nate or lax or something had a yj with rc lift, hated it, went RE loved it.
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Going cheap is exactly that, CHEAP. You get what you pay for.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It hurts when yuor kidneys fall into your sack.
It hurts even more to have them put back.
Burma Shave!

(and you *paid* for those springs ????)
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am totally satisfied with the lift, look and quality of ride that OME 36R springs provide. I would recommend them to anyone who is building a daily driver YJ for themselves. A really smooth and plush ride.

If you are planning on flipping the YJ, I think the RE springs have good enough rep to add value compared to Rough Country, but aren't as expensive as OME. I wouldn't spend the money on OME suspension for a rig that is only going to be flipped.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
johnt7558
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ
local offroad shop quoted me 475$ for bushings and RE 2.5" springs which i feel isn't bad. on the shelf is nice too

waiting on a quote for OME............

i should just put a credit card down and not look. probably easier lol

any thoughts on Zone springs? everything i've read they are a knockoff of BDS.....
I am running 4" zone springs with BDS shocks and i am very pleased with the performance. I dont think you can get a much better ride and flex than you can with this combo.
johnt7558 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used to run rough country on my yj and the springs did sagged prematurely. I replaced them with 4" zone springs and they ride and flex great right after installing. Been riding with the springs for 3 months with no settling. I would recommend them as well.
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Idaho_Chad

I'm currently ripping out my 4" Rough Country lift and replacing it with OME. That's the last time I cheap out on parts for my Jeep.
Idaho_Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.