Taking Suggestions, Please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taking Suggestions, Please!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
jth295
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Taking Suggestions, Please!

Alright, so I just recently got my dad's 1990 YJ, unfortunately it is not a V6 but considering I don't plan on doing too strenuous of activity with it, I believe it will have much potential.
Basically, this post is asking for opinions and important things I need to know when modding my YJ.

First off, I'm just going to make it clear that I am 17, a senior in high school, therefore I don't know all that much regarding Wrangler specifics, but I'm very interested in learning! I do work 5 days a week part-time and I save every penny I can(granted, it isn't a HUGE chunk of change), but I do wish to make my Jeep a project.

Now, to the good stuff.
I'm wanting to start off with the suspension, lift, wheels and tires first of course.
So far, this is what I have in mind:
4" suspension lift kit
2" body lift (at most)
33" tires & 15 or 16" wheels
Companies of these products and further ideas would help!

Now, I've read a little on trouble with the tires size in regards to I4 power and mpg. But, like I said, I don't know all that much.
Furthermore, I do not know what else I may need or want for my YJ, which is why I'm making this post.
I appreciate any and all help, thanks!

yj2-copy.jpg  

Last edited by jth295; 08-27-2012 at 05:39 PM..
jth295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry, none of them were v6 from the factory. As for mods, the world is your oyster
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1" BL, TJ flares, 32's you'll save alot of money
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

^ this, if you NEED ~6" lift for whatever reason just get perches and start yours off by going SOA.
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a suggestion: ditch the trackbar and swaybar and take it out to your local wheeling spot with a couple buddies in their rigs. Beat on it like it was eyeballing your old lady and figure out why you're getting stuck on which trails and see which modifications it will take to overcome these obstacles.
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
jth295
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post
1" BL, TJ flares, 32's you'll save alot of money
What about lift kit? I'm shooting for a pretty noticeable change.
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
^ this, if you NEED ~6" lift for whatever reason just get perches and start yours off by going SOA.
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Here's a suggestion: ditch the trackbar and swaybar and take it out to your local wheeling spot with a couple buddies in their rigs. Beat on it like it was eyeballing your old lady and figure out why you're getting stuck on which trails and see which modifications it will take to overcome these obstacles.
^^^Best build advice you will ever get^^^

I built mine... then wheeled it... then rebuilt it. Wheel first... then build to suit your wheeling preference and needs.

And rip out the track/sway bars for sure!
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the first couple of bucks, you should spend on things to get it running like a top (i.e. fluid changes, filter changes, tune up,...). Once that is done, wheel it as is. If you have a jeep on 33s that runs like crap, you're gonna have a bad time. Waaay more important to have a reliable Jeep than a modded Jeep. Also, don't ask about anything (especially going SOA) until you have used the search feature.
chicalibro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Your getting great advice here. The 2.5 does not really have the power and torque necessary to run larger tires without doing some gear changing and it already has 4:10s in it so there are only a couple of steps up (numerically). So if you want the lift to run bigger tires there will be other expenses in order to do this. Heed the advice here, find out what the 2.5 can do stock, start saving money last year, then decide what you need/want to do. Larger tires, 4" lift and a gear change will run you at least $2K unless you can get the auto shop at your school to help you out.

Oh and first thing, get under it and tighten the E brake cables and get rid of the brick.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
jth295
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help.
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's what I'd do.

I'd do a body lift first. 1.25". Then I'd do all fluids.
cooling system overhaul, new thermostat, hoses, Rad flush and fresh fluid.
Now with the body lift installed, I'd go through your brake and fuel lines. With the body lift that aspect will be much easier.
Then brakes.
Vacuum hoses.
Cowl seal.
check tires for wear, rotate as needed.
a good clean, including under carraige and wax job.

That's what I'd do before I'd consider going all out. Body lift is a piece of a good plan and it will help you in the hard to reach places.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990 , mods , suggestions , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.