Taking out the "factory" AC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taking out the "factory" AC

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-04-2001, 04:00 PM   #1
Brendan

Taking out the "factory" AC

My jeep came with, or had the aftermarket AC kits installed on it. I want to take it all out. I was just wondering what was involved with taking it out. My alternator comes off the AC, so I was wondering what I would do about that. If any one has an 87 - 90 I6 wihtout AC I'd love a picture of the left side of the engine bay, where the alternator resides.

I want to take out the unit inside the cab to, not just disconnect. Thanks

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2001, 09:51 PM   #2
bob91yj

Stop, leave the compressor right where it is. You have virtually instant on-board-air.
You can scrap the vents, condenser, etc if ya want, but you will regret removing the compressor one of these days.
I'm not sure what the etiquette is here about refering to other sites, but I know there is a how to for OBA at www.jeepaholics.com. It's in the tech forum.
Unread 10-07-2001, 06:44 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah! What Bob said for sure! Perfect onboard air setup dude. Toss everything else, but leave that compressor right where it is and plumb it for air! You'll be so happy you did.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2001, 06:17 AM   #4
glm 87 wrangler

First I agree with the others for on board air but if you really want to remove it here you go. First make sure there is no freon in it. rember there are laws about that but what you do is your business.But if there is not start removing srews and bolts,and if no freon is in the system and the unit is totaly
shot,start cutting away hoses and wires be carefull there make sure all the ones go to the unit just start tracing them from the unit it self make sure you tape off bare ends better yet if there is a fuse that dedicatedto the AC like mine just remove it.AS for the compreser if you take that off you will need a shorter belt you can take your old one to the auto parts guy should be able
to estamate or use a belt for the non AC jeeps may work but the shorter belt should not be a problem to find you can always go back until you find the right size they will exchange it I did this before.Hope this helps
Unread 10-09-2001, 06:52 PM   #5
Brendan

What Do I need air for? I don't mean to be a dick, i mean it literally, I'm pretty new at this. I don't have a lift yet, and I don't want an ARB locker. I would love to have a cool setup with air, but what would I use it for, and how would I rig it?

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2001, 07:24 PM   #6
bob91yj

OBA (on board air) can be used mostly for airing your tires back up after wheeling, running air tools for trail fixes, etc.
You may not think you need it now, but if you stay in the sport for long you will. I wanted it after watching someone with it air up 4 tires, while I was still on my first with a 12v compressor.
Check the Tech Papers section of www.jeepaholics.com for a how-to article on the install.
Unread 10-09-2001, 07:29 PM   #7
JeeperJay

This sounds like a damn good idea! How much PSI does a AC compressor put out? Just wondering.
Unread 10-09-2001, 08:09 PM   #8
Pantera

Most systems are set up for about 120 PSI... I think the average compressor can put out more than that though I'm not sure how safe it is...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2001, 07:02 PM   #9
bob91yj

You need to install a pressure switch in the system to prevent over pressurizing the system. 90 psi is probably the industry standard for air tool operation.

The pressure switch needs to be wired to the A/C compressor clutch so that it disengages at the specified pressure. A pop-off, or relief valve in the system is a good idea too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.