Taking off my top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taking off my top?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-14-2001, 08:15 PM   #1
grantnps

Taking off my top?

How do I unlock that lock in front so I can roll back the whole top. I cant figure out out to unluck the thing. It was dark, but I had a light. Any help, thanks, Im new to the Jeep world. Grant

Unread 10-14-2001, 08:24 PM   #2
-D-

A few posts down is something about someone who just got a duster and i wrote some instructions, but since I'm lazy here's a cut and paste of it..

I don't have a duster, but I take my Soft-Top off quite a bit. First you take out all the windows including the rear (or roll it up). Then you pull down on the tension elbows in the middle of the rear quarter windows (the bar that goes parrallel with the body of the jeep) and get some slack in the top. The lip of the top that hooks into the windshield can be pulled free now. In addition, at the corners of the windshield are little plastic latches that say lock/unlock, put those to the unlock position and pull outwards on the soft top frame to release it from the body of the jeep. After that the entire thing can slide off the jeep (it's on runners. If you want to take just the canvas off, you can just undo all the snaps (about 20 of them) and it comes right off. That's how it works on my '95 YJ atleast.
-D-
-D- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2001, 08:27 PM   #3
-D-

One more thing. If you want to fold the top down like a convertable, Undo the snaps that are over the front windows but not the ones that go over the passengers and the whole thing should be able to fold down. What I usually do is fold it down and roll the top up over the frame then tie it down with bungee's.
-D-
-D- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.