Taking on the clutch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Taking on the clutch

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I figured i would give an update for those who search for this in the future.

I started the clutch today and wanted to go over what to watch out for and what i thought worked good.
The Skid plate was the first to come off. After a few good yanks i decided that i needed to use heat and a ton of PB blaster. The best advice i would give to anyone is go slow.
Drive shafts were simple, just dont forget to tape the U joints after you drop them.
The Bell housing bolts were tough but again a breaker bar will be your best friend. I found that i could access the top 4 easier through the transmission tunnel by taking off the shift boot and the larger one underneath the boot.
Removing the Shifter was a pain, with your hands greasy its hard to spin the collar counter clockwise. i ended up using a flat head screw driver and a hammer to tap it counter clockwise.
Where i really ran into an issue was the slave. One of the bolts stripped and refuses to come out so i currently have the transmission suspended and slid back with the slave attached still. there seems to be plenty of room to take off the bolts for the pressure plate and flywheel but my only concern is the pilot bearing.

To be Continued....

bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
adiubald
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've pulled the transmission twice- once for the clutch and once for 5th gear.

I was able to do it without removing the exhaust. Disconnected the tail pipe hanger and there was enough play to get the transmission out.

Also separated the transfer case from transmission. Not required but it makes lining up the transmission easier when re installing- especially when you are under the Jeep laying on your back.

The pilot bearing was the biggest PIA to remove. You need a puller to get it out.

I had no trouble with the top bell housing bolts.

Removing the transmission tunnel cover sounds like a great idea- lost some skin on my knuckles trying to get the shifter back in from underneath. - Wish I new this 10 years ago!!!
adiubald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #18
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I finally had a chance to finish up the clutch last night after work. All i basically had to do was tighten down some bolts and put all the bells and whistles back together.
After looking at the old one that i removed, i noticed it wasn't completely worn out so i pondered why i had the shutter or shake when i started off the line. I found that one of the clutch disk spring was snapped in half and i feel that might have contributed to my issues.
Everything works great.
My advice to anyone wanting to do this, its not as bad as you think. Take your time and youll be fine.
Also, doing this myself, i decided to use the posted ratchet strap idea. It wasnt to bad. It wasnt easy trying to line things back up so it could be slid back together however but its a good idea still.

Thanks to All for your help!
bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.