Tailgate project..... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tailgate project.....

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of doing this also. It looks great. I was also thinking of painting the two slats black and putting a jeep logo in one of the indents or cutting some stainless steel in the shape of the slats and gluing them in.

Mark455SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Job.
Now take care of that battle scar on the corner.
ChicagoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #18
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoYJ View Post
Nice Job.
Was thinking the same thing. I am all for battle scares but on a rig as clean as yours man, you gotta fix it.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was going to fill in the bolt holes and then I thought I would use them to mount a shovel and some other trail gear. Now I am not sure looks gooood with the tailgate cleaned up.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #20
Neighborbill
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job looks good!
Neighborbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #21
yjislander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good man, btw where yall at in ky??
penaties™
cought™
buissinesses™
mabey™
seel™
come'in™

Christian Jeeper #4

92 Yj on 32's
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
I'm so poor, I bought a hooker then beat her up and took my fake money back.
yjislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #22
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think I can speak for FF315 and tell you that we're fixin' to install LED tail lights on the Heeps. He's going to be installing some corner protectors to include the side fuel intake relocation. The scar will be covered. Believe me, he's a little on the OCD side (ask him about his wipers) and it's been bothering him from day one. The PO was pulling a 4-wheeler on a trailer and jack-knifed it. Hence the sweet corner scar.
Unread 01-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #23
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjislander View Post
Shelby County. Right between Louisville and Frankfort.
Unread 01-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #24
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark455SD View Post
I was thinking of doing this also. It looks great. I was also thinking of painting the two slats black and putting a jeep logo in one of the indents or cutting some stainless steel in the shape of the slats and gluing them in.
I kicked around the idea of trying to cut the "Jeep" out of an old CJ gate and integrate it somehow.....didn't come up with anything worthwhile yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoYJ View Post
Nice Job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Was thinking the same thing. I am all for battle scares but on a rig as clean as yours man, you gotta fix it.
Ugly ain't it? That was done by the PO and I don't know what the heck he was trying to do to it....looks like there might have been an attempt at some filler at some point. Plan on pounding it out as well as I can and then corner armor will take care of the rest. Gonna be sure the bottom seals so it doesn't hold mud/water in there......any other ideas? Thanks for the clean comment Rusty, I am trying to get it there and make it ALL mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr View Post
I was going to fill in the bolt holes and then I thought I would use them to mount a shovel and some other trail gear. Now I am not sure looks gooood with the tailgate cleaned up.
I do like the clean look. My purpose in using JB was that it can be drilled and tapped fairly easily if I ever needed to in the future.....Don't plan on needing to do that though....by the way Crawlr, wanna trade!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinkleys View Post
Nice job looks good!
Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks! Shelby Co. ...... how 'bout you?
Unread 01-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #25
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks FFJeep! At least you just said a "little" OCD.. Believe it or not, I had actually forgotten how he said it happened. I must have been adding and subtracting numbers in preparation for my purchase "negotiation." Only took, what, an hour after the first price was mentioned.....Yeah, a "little" anal retentive......comes in handy from time to time.
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #26
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work and a definite improvement. I have two 'what to do next time' comments. One, use the 'Jeep' logo tailgate. Two, I hope the JB Weld holds up better for you than straight bondo (which cracked for me). Real welding would be best if you can do that.
Here is a bad photo of how mine ended up.

Unread 01-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #27
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That cj tailgate came out minty I wish I had thought to do mine that way. Do you have pics of the latching setup ?
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #28
yjislander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man shelby co aint that far, I'm down here basically in Bowling Green
penaties™
cought™
buissinesses™
mabey™
seel™
come'in™

Christian Jeeper #4

92 Yj on 32's
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
I'm so poor, I bought a hooker then beat her up and took my fake money back.
yjislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #29
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I really like the look w/ the tire and carrier gone. Seems to make the jeep look wider. Nice work man!

Thats darn fine work for a rattle can, or even a real spray gun. You could put Maco out of business with rattle cans.
HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #30
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Nice work and a definite improvement. I have two 'what to do next time' comments. One, use the 'Jeep' logo tailgate. Two, I hope the JB Weld holds up better for you than straight bondo (which cracked for me). Real welding would be best if you can do that.
Thanks Don, I appreciate it....No welding yet, but coming very soon. I used the JB because it self fills voids well and self levels well before hardening. Also doesn't give you the issues of cracking like Bondo will in thick applications. We'll have to see how it holds up.....I'm optomistic.

Quote:
Hey man shelby co aint that far, I'm down here basically in Bowling Green
That's cool man. Most of my family is from that area. Mom's side from G-gow and Dad's from BG....spent many drunken nights that I can't remember down at WKU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
I really like the look w/ the tire and carrier gone. Seems to make the jeep look wider. Nice work man!

Thats darn fine work for a rattle can, or even a real spray gun. You could put Maco out of business with rattle cans.
Thanks dude! I have found out that those pistol grip things for rattle cans help to lay a more controlled spray pattern. I don't paint without them. This was my first larger metal project that I rattle canned. I'm pleased with the outcome so far. We'll see how it holds up!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.