Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tail lights

776 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  OlllllllO Jeep1 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anyone ever took the stock tail lights and mounted them flush? I thought it would be different. I figured it would be hard but if you cut the hole to fit, there should be some way to hold it in.

#5 ·
I was thinking of sinking the stock tailights. The only reason that I was thinking against it is that the way that I wanted to do it is put the bucket on the backside and then screw the lense in from the outside. Not exactly sure how I would support the inside though. I guess fiberglass would work. They sell those cheap led raplacement bulbs for stock taillights which may be a cheap alternative to led`s. The only only downer to this approach of installing the taillights that I can figure is that there would be four holes in the tub where you would screw in the lense. I also remember that someone on this forum mounted some homemade LED setup into there stoc lights that looked trick. Kind of like the aftermarket jobs that fit into the stock lights.

Just wondering if anyone knows a better way of sinking the taillights then this. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
OlllllllO Jeep1 said:
The only reason that I was thinking against it is that the way that I wanted to do it is put the bucket on the backside and then screw the lense in from the outside.
That was one of my thoughts on how to do it, you would be able to be less accurate on your cut since the lense would cover a small area, the other way i thought of was to make some cheap L brackets to put on each side of the light on the bucket then rivet it to the tub.

i just want to find a way were the area that needs to be cut out doesnt have to be exact so i dont error and ruin the tub by cutting to big. Hopefully when i get home from school I will be able to take that area apart and explore it more.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't know JeeperDon to well, but he is always offering up insight on tech questions, he may be willing to tell you how he did his tail lights if you ask.

I would be curious as to how easy/hard it was to do that, because of the aftermarket LED light kits you can buy that are simular to the stock housings might look nice flush mounted.

#9 ·
I don't think that the entire light is sitting flush with just the lense on the outside. More than likely the bucket is set back into the jeep body and the four screws that hold the lense on are now what also attaches the buck to the body. This would be easy to do. If you look at the lense screw holes you'll see a little tab on the bucket behind each hole. This is where the screw sits. You would need to cut these tabs off and enlarge the hole through the tub. Then just screw the lenses on to the body while sandwiching (is that a word?) the bucket in between the lense and the tub.

#12 ·
whatever you do don't forget to fit a number plate light .. on stock lights it shines down out of the bottom .. you'll need to fit a replacement for that if you flush them.

#13 ·
88Jeepster said:
whatever you do don't forget to fit a number plate light .. on stock lights it shines down out of the bottom .. you'll need to fit a replacement for that if you flush them.
The other thing to remember is the side marker lights are built into the stock tail lights. So you will need to mount some of those on the sides. Small round led`s would work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.