tackling the oil leak soon...wish me luck! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tackling the oil leak soon...wish me luck!

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
psych
1987 YJ Wrangler 

tackling the oil leak soon...wish me luck!

Thanks for all the help with the radio/light issue. It appears to be fixed!

Now on to the big problem.When I bought the jeep, I was told it had a rear main seal leak. The motor and entire under side was coated in oil and stinks any time you run the thing. After talking with a friend who has owned jeeps for years, he started asking questions about what was oil soaked and he thinks instead of a rear seal, it is probably the valve cover gasket.

Sooooo, with that said, I'm going to attempt (key word) to clean all the old, nasty oil off everything and change the valve cover gasket. I've been reading on here about it and there are various opinions as to what kind of gasket to use, and so on.

Aside from all that, any tips, advice, words of wisdom, etc for me before I start? It'll be at least the weekend before I hit it, if then.

psych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
87angler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i just got done doing both of these. i would run the jeep for a little while and get it warm. then park it and check on it in a couple of hours. if you see any drops around the end of the oil pan or on the exhaust then it could be the rear main seal. once you park it take a peak at the valve cover. if there is more oil then normal or if the cork gasket is squished out then theres your leak. i noticed that for while driving i could smell the valve cover leak because it was pooling up on my intake manifold and when i parked i could smell the rear main seal because it was dripping on the exhaust pipe. also my oil pressure was running really low because of the rear main seal. i just replaced both of them for the first time and they were not that bad. just make sure you follow a guide or manual (chillton) and dont forget the dish soap for what i assume was used for water displacement. good luck
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
87angler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

also they make really nice gaskets that are made out of a rubber or plastic with washers around the bolt holes so you cant tighten it down to much. really nice for the high oil leak areas
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely use a rubber gasket, shy away from the cork valve cover gaskets. Clean your head and bolts and bolt holes well. Torque the bolts to spec, and put a little drop of loctite (purple low strength or blue medium strength) to hold the bolts in place. Clean all the oil away from your engine and transmission and then see where, if any, you still have a leak. Some common places are the dipstict tube, the oil pressure sending unit, the input shaft of the transmission (which requires you to drop the tranny to fix), the oil pan gasket and lastly the rear main seal.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Simple to diagnose. Get some kind of de greaser (concentrated simple green actually works as good as most other degreasers) warm up the motor, spray the it down, let sit for a few minutes and clean off with water. Repeat until there is not more oil on the motor. Take it for a drive that will get your motor to normal operating temp, turn it off and check for leaking oil. If its a low pressure leak, like from the valve cover or oil pan, the leak is going to be below the highest level of oil you can see.

The oil pressure sending unit is also a common problem. It's located on the passenger side of the block behind the oil filter. If its leaking from there, you will notice a huge spray of oil covering the respective side of the engine compartment. The sending unit and brass fitting are cheap and easy to replace.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
psych
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. My first task is to degrease and inspect (to the best of my ability) this weekend. My friend said he felt it was more valve cover related due to the location of all the oil sprayed out everywhere and that I still have oil on the dipstick and good pressure...slow leak over time. I bought the jeep as is and it looks like its been leaking for quite a while. Most of the oil on the bottom side, by the exhaust, appears old and crusted. Guess we'll see!
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Are you still running the OEM valve cover? They're notorious for warping. If it is indeed your valve cover that's leaking, and it's the original, upgrading would likely be a wise idea.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
psych
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Are you still running the OEM valve cover? They're notorious for warping. If it is indeed your valve cover that's leaking, and it's the original, upgrading would likely be a wise idea.
Honestly, I have no idea. I have heard they are notorious for warping and was told if it's plastic, to upgrade to aluminum but I don't know if it's OEM or not. Any way of knowing?
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Good idea to check your PCV system, too.

Mine would blow oil everywhere (even out the dipstick tube) when I first got it because the PO had a bad PVC valve in there.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out this engine cleaning gun from harbor freight, it's the best 8 dollar tool I have bought. Hook it up to a compressor and a gallon of purple power and couple hours later your engine bay will be spotless. The plastic valve cover is t going to warp, use the blue felpro gasket if you only want to do it once. 12foot lbs only on those bolts.
image-316688062.jpg  
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

*not* going to warp. Sorry. It will not warp. cheers.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.