T-case symptoms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > T-case symptoms?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

T-case symptoms?

My POS just broke down on me for the 6th or 7th time . I'm thinking I have a stretched chain in my 231. Whenever its in gear and moving I'm getting a constant ratcheting sound coming from the floor boards. The transmission shifts fine and all the gears work fine. It shifts into 4wd hi and low normally as well. The other thing I noticed is there is ATF from the t-case in the tranny, and gear oil from the trans in the t-case. It was also leaking ATF pretty bad, but I couldn't locate exactly where from. When I checked the fluids, the trans was down about a quart, give or take some. I topped it and the t-case off, drove the jeep around a bit, and noticed no change in the noise.

I got it towed to my gf's place which is 270 miles from my tools, so I'll do the best I can with what I have, but I'm probably gonna have to have it trailered back up to my place... Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

bump... no ideas???

Quote:
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
Unread 02-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The tcase and tranny are sealed units. I can't imagine how you're getting ATF into the tranny. All I can say is you've obviously got to pull both and see what the heck is going on. Not much anyone here can do for you except show up for the Jeepfest.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

If the seals are gone the tranny can leak into the tcase. Mine did this.

The skipping sound could be the tcase chain slipping OR if you're in 4wd and you have a vac disconnect, the axle could be letting go.

I'm not necessarily a dim kind of guy (despite what my idiot friends may say... ;-) and I actually swapped my tcase for a u-pick only to discover that my front "locked disconnect" was letting go. Oh well, I wanted to change that tcase anyhow!

Good luck.
Unread 02-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My rig has a posi lock, so no vac disconnect to worry about. I messed with it a little more this morning, and noticed that it rattles even while idling with the clutch engaged. If you push the clutch in, the noise goes away. This is confirming my stretched chain suspicions... My other question is, can I remove the chain and still be able to drive the rig home, or is this a no go? I've never been inside a 231, so I'm kinda vague on the operation.

Quote:
Unread 02-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Still too many possibilities to be sure.

You should be able to shift the tcase into 2wd and drive the YJ without the chain skipping and be able to feel it.

I've had one chain stretch in a tcase to where it skipped under load in 4wd. I had another where I could hear the chain rub on the case but no shudders. If the vehicle was only driven in 2wd you couldn't feel the chain skip. These are just my experiences. Maybe something else is wrong.

Last edited by jeepsterjc; 02-14-2009 at 12:27 PM..
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I convinced the old man to bring the dually down so we can drag the POS back home. I'll try to get it torn apart early this week, and I'll keep you guys updated on what I find out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a simple and cheap repair, but considering my luck I'll be buying a new tcase in the near future.

Quote:
Unread 02-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

The T-Case on my XJ sounded like this Just before it tore a hole in the bottom. No really it did... trashed the case.
Unread 02-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC_FAN View Post
The T-Case on my XJ sounded like this Just before it tore a hole in the bottom. No really it did... trashed the case.
This is why I'm not gonna risk driving it home... I had a Dakota with a NP231D that broke in 3, yes 3, complete pieces after some thrashing...

Quote:
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Update:

I got the rig home ok, and tore the t-case out last week, and I finally got around to tearing into the t-case yesterday. I've been procrastinating a bit about the project a little ... Anyway, I got it all taken apart and noticed that the rear output shaft main bearing went boom. The plasitc bearing retainer looked like it went through a wood chipper, and the ball bearings were just sort of there...

This was causing the main shaft to wobble enough to kill both the t-case front seal, and the transmissons rear seal. It also marked up one edge of the front output shafts chain sprocket a bit.

Last night I got on Q-tec and ordered an overhaul kit with all new bearings and seals, as well as a new tranny seal. I still need to pick up some new u-joints, and I'll probably throw on a new muffler while I have it all apart.

If I remember, I'll take some pictures of the bad bearing, and of the re-assembly.

Quote:
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good time for a SYE kit, huh?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Good time for a SYE kit, huh?

Max

I wish... I just don't have the bones to drop on one right now. At least I'll be familar with the t-case when I do get one.

Quote:
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post
I wish... I just don't have the bones to drop on one right now. At least I'll be familar with the t-case when I do get one.
I hear ya! I went & looked at an $800 ZJ today to buy as a "spare/project Jeep" and just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

As if I need a 4th Jeep, or another project!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i agree, it seems to be the chain.
man, the SYE would be awesome to do while down under there working...if i had the means, i would put one in now, before my lift so i would already have it!

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors

Last edited by jgillespie; 02-25-2009 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: struggling with my english in the current state of mind
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillespie View Post
i agree, it seems to be the chain.
man, the SYE would be awesome to do while down under there working...if i had the means, i would put one in now, before my lift so i would already have it!
The chain is actually in good shape. Before I took it off it seemed to have good tension, after it was off I inspected it carefully, and it looks to be in pretty decent shape.

Just to be safe though, does anyone know how much chain deflection there should be when its installed??? I checked my overhaul manual, and it doesn't mention anything about the tension.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.