T-case shifter Z-gate elimination write-up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > T-case shifter Z-gate elimination write-up

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #31
kampoyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Okay, I know that every little thing on a stock Jeep has a purpose. So for those that would find themselves vehemently opposed to the elimination of the Z-gate on the T-case shifter, PLEASE, MOVE ALONG! Personally, I have altered quite a few things on my Jeep, as most of us do. This one has always bugged me, so I finally did something about it.

Here is the T-case shifter with an intact Z-gate that "locks out" neutral & 4LO, requiring you to move the shifter to the right to access those functions. It's just a separate plate attached to the main assembly. I always hated that side-to-side movement requirement.

I simply drilled the heads off of the rivets that hold the Z-gate onto the shifter assembly & pried the gate off of the main assembly.

After prying it off the rivets, I bent it back and forth and it snapped right in two!

Here is the shifter minus the Z-gate. It's now a straight throw forward & back to engage any T-case function without moving the shifter side-to-side.

Of course, now there is a reason to pay a bit closer attention to how you operate the T-case shifter to avoid selecting the wrong function.

Max

Sorry to hijack this - i have already asked the same things on a different thread but noone seems to be able to come back with an answer. My query is related to the transfer case shifter and as i see the only good pictures of the shifter i can find here on it i ll shoot.
I replaced my clutch yesterday. The mechanic upon dropping the whole t-case and gearbox said that a bushing connecting to the t-case shifter was cut as he didnt notice and it was after all worn out. From what i can see in your pics here this was not a bushing that was connecting to the shifter knob inside the cab but more like it was something from inside the cab down to the linkage. Following the re install of the whole setup my t-case shifter is loose(i.e. it plays left and right and has slack when i grab it to put into 4H like there s a gap from when i grab it to when i put in 4H. It feels like whatever bushing was there to keep the shifter solid and in line with shifting backwards has gone...the prob is i wasnt there and he didnt keep the cut off bushing to show me...as a result i m looking desperately to make sure i order the right part...Would anyone be able to show me a similar picture of the shifter setup and the bushing in question that would keep the t-case shifter solid and in place without slack so i can order and put in ? will i need to drop the whole thing agian to install this? Basically the t-case shifter is now slack as if i play neutral on my gear shift at traffic lights. it goes left and right and forward and backward before i can actually put it to 4H..It sill engages but want it to be solid like it used to be befroe like it felt on a rail guiding you to go 4H N 4L rather than having the slack left and right on all of the gears mentioned...Any ideas what it could be and is there any pics so i know what to orderr?

Thx

Unread 06-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #32
fathergoose
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90yjkrawler View Post
i'm in the same boat, do you trust this not to slip out of neutral when towing. I flat tow or use a dolly when I want to go far with the YJ. my tcase is like my backup in case the tranny falls into gear.
What a ***! The same thing that keeps from popping out of four wheel low driving over bolders going up a 30* slope....the detent balls. ***.
fathergoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.