T Case Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > T Case Question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 12-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

T Case Question

So I know have a xj 231 in my yj that is attatched to an aw4 ...

when i try to shift on the fly from 2hi to 4hi i get a bad gringing noise and haven't been able to engage...

if i stop completely... shifts fine

if im in 4hi and shift on the fly to 2hi shifts fine...

i still have the cad system on the dana 30...

any info would be appreciated

Built Not Bought #447, 1992 Jeep XJ Supercharged 4.7, 1988 Jeep YJ Auto 4.2L, 2008 Commander Limited HEMI, 1990 Jeep YJ 4.7L Fuel Injected AW4, 1981 Scrambler 304 Auto

I Am The Jeep Surgeon!!!
cevans87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I suspect the XJ tcase doesn't have the synchro in it that a YJ tcase would.

In non-vacuum disconnect jeeps the fron drive shaft is always spinning so the tcase doesn't need the synchro.
In YJ's with the vacuum disconnect axle the tcase needs to have the synchro in it to spin up the front driveshaft when you shift from 2HI to 4HI. Without the synchro in a YJ it's going to grind....
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

not sure what your talking about kloppk. My cherokee I could go in and out of 4x without any problems on the fly when I had my XJ.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ's use the CAD axle disconnect. The tcase's in YJ's have a synchro in them to spin up the front driveshaft to avoid gear clash.

Earlier XJ's that had the same CAD axle disconnect used the same synchro system in the tcase.

Later XJ's did away with the CAD axle disconnect. The synchro was no longer needed since the front driveshaft is always spinning with a non-CAD axle. The same is true for all TJ's.

I suspect the OP has the later XJ tcase without the synchro in it. The tcase is trying to engage but without the synchro the teeth are not synchronized when the mode fork tries to engage the non-spinning front drivshaft.

I agree, all stock XJ's, YJ's and TJ's will shift on the fly with the factory (correct) tcase installed.

CAD axle YJ's & XJ's requires the tcase with a synchro
Non-CAD axle XJ's do not require a tcase with the synchro.

Please refer to the parts diagrams for tcases in CAD & non-CAD Jeeps.
You'll see the synchro in tcase in jeeps with the CAD axle.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
not sure what your talking about kloppk. My cherokee I could go in and out of 4x without any problems on the fly when I had my XJ.
Some XJ tcases came with a synchro some didn't. His doesn't seem to have one.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...ft-fly-949926/
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you need a one piece conversion or just to lock the collar on the two piece system over and make sure your driveline is balanced. That'll solve your problem.
Unread 12-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like a winner, thats what i was leaning towards was that the cad system played a big role and that i didn't have the synchro... but i needed it confirmed... kinda like tasking someone to look at the same picture to see if they see something you don't... thanks guys... will be swapping to dana 60's soon so untill then i just won't shift on the fly
Built Not Bought #447, 1992 Jeep XJ Supercharged 4.7, 1988 Jeep YJ Auto 4.2L, 2008 Commander Limited HEMI, 1990 Jeep YJ 4.7L Fuel Injected AW4, 1981 Scrambler 304 Auto

I Am The Jeep Surgeon!!!
cevans87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.