synchronizer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > synchronizer?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
yooperlou

synchronizer?

Hi everyone,

Got a little problem with my 95 YJ. About a month ago my transmission started grinding shifting into third and fifth.
Now it does it occasionally in second also, plus at times it is difficult to shift period, putting it into gear that is.
The hydraulic fluid is full in the clutch reservoir and nothing leaks. Could this be a sign that the synch is starting to go? If so, how big a job would it be to repair. Some have told me to just rebuild the tranny, kinda hope it doesn't come to that.
On one of my foreign vehicles of the past there was a way to bleed the hydraulic clutch, is it possible this needs to be done on the yj, and if so how is it done on this vehicle? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Nice site.
Thanks eh?

yooperlou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
racer35

try a synthetic fliud it helped mine alot. do a search on what type. I just did a mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and I noticed a night and day diffrence. try the fluid before fixing it. sometimes the fuild get water in it (if your wheel) or its low. the things you explain sound like sncros and a tranny shop will rap you for that reason.
racer35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
yooperlou

Thanks, I don't have a repair manual for this vehicle. Where would the drain plug for the hydraulic fluid be, on the transfer case somewhere? Thanks
Unread 07-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You don't want to drain the clutch fluid or the transfer case for this. There is a large drain plug on the side of the transmission and a fill plug about the same size for filling it. The level should be within about a quarter inch of the bottom of the fill plug. If you have a place that changes your oil for you, they might check it if you don't want to crawl around looking for the plugs.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
yooperlou

ok thanks, I hope this helps but I don't know, grinding pretty bad. Have to try it and see, thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.