symptoms of a bad waterpump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > symptoms of a bad waterpump?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

symptoms of a bad waterpump?

went to lunch today (actually to the bolt supply house, no lunch) and when i got out of the Yj there was a pretty decent puddle of antifreeze accumulating on the ground. i could watch it dripping pretty bad. like it was gushing and left a good sized puddle. went into the store anyways, got my bolts and came out and it looks like its stopped.

first impression was the thermostat housing as this has happened to me before. however, upon inspection, it looks like the tstat housing is relatively dry. it could be coming from beneath that , or the top of the housing.
the only thing wet on the front of the engine is what looks like the timing chain cover.

now, real question is that the waterpump that gave up the ghost or another tstat housing issue? i dont' really care because i have replacements for both, but whats perplexing is it stopped.

i droveback to the office, and aran the jeep for 5 mins in parking lot. not a drop. pulled the rad cap and it spit fluid at me.........

weird or is this common? like, not a drip underneath it now...........

in response to the typical questions, no i havne't added coolant lately, i've not touched anything on the cooling system since april and driven maybe 3000k. wheeled it all summer etc, no drips.

engine is out of an XJ and pump was the one off my YJ when i did the swap. so i do have the old water pump kicking around and it'd be easy to swap and then i have an excuse to goto an electrical fan

13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well yea you still need the water pump of course with the electrical fan, but it's probably the bearing in the pump. I would not want to drive it for concern of catastrophic pump failure and engine damage. Did you wiggle the fan to check for play in the bearing?
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

how does a bearing cause it to gush coolant for 5 seconds then stop?
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
how does a bearing cause it to gush coolant for 5 seconds then stop?
I am guessing it might be a chinese reman pump bearing. The chinese are very very wity folks. So they say ok, what's tha problem? No problem with pump! Pump Good! See! No leaky! Whatsa matter wid da pump! You klazy!
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pump on my XJ did the same thing when it started to die- would leak, then stop, then leak. Did that for a couple months before finally leaking enough for me to find the leak (I would smell the leak, and see a tiny puddle every once in a while but never found where it was coming from).

Once I pulled the pump I saw the green stain from the water pump weep hole, but it never leaked enough or consitent enough to figure out where it was coming from. Granted, the XJ enging compartment is a bit more cramped up front than a YJ so I could not see the front of the water pump without tearing into it.

:-)
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks.

you make me go leaky leaky in my pants from laughing so hard.

i've got no problem pulling it all apart because i wanna put the e-fan on there anyways, so might as well swap the fan too... just a pissoff because i'm ballz deep in my ZJ project and am relyin on the YJ for daily drivin right now.

those crafty chinese.
Unread 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
lumpymike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 88 did the exact same thing. Leaked under pressure but would stop once the pressure was released. It was the Pump itself leaking. Replaced it and no more leak.
lumpymike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

k, picking up a new pump after work, pull the old one, and have a few beers in the garage......

i hate sitting at a desk sometimes. just wanna go wrench and stuff.............
Unread 11-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Dragon5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was exactly the same. Theres a little hole (valve?) in the pump that once it goes it will leak like that. Gotta either replace the whole thing or some people jb weld the hole for a (not recommended) temporary fix.
Dragon5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.