SYE Who has some Info?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE Who has some Info??

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-26-2002, 09:01 PM   #1
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

SYE Who has some Info??

been having some vibrations on my recent install of a 3" rough country suspension lift. Wanted to know what you guys/gals thought. Should I drop the cash and invest in a SYE and a near rear driveshaft, or should I go from a 6 degree shim on the rear springs and go to an 8 or 10 degree shim in an attempt to skip the sye. Everyone I have talked to says the angle on my drive shaft is not that bad, but agree that it is the root of my problems. Any help would be appreciated. I did install the transfer lower brackets if that helps.
Jake

jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
V8wrangler_idaho

i have a rough country lift to. did the same thing. The shims that are in there are to much. You should go with the 2.5 angle shims. if that dosen;t stop the vibrations. go with the cv joint drive shaft and change out the output shaft of the tranfer case.

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2002, 09:50 AM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You have too much shim already is what sounds like your problem. When you're talking about a standard driveshaft with one u-joint at each end (non-CV), the tcase yoke and the pinion yoke need to be parallel. So no matter how much lift you put in, the rule is the same. By dropping your tcase, you only changed the angle of your output yoke about 2.5 degrees. So you compensate for that by putting in 2.5 degree shims on the rear perch to rotate the pinion up accordingly. When I ran a CV shaft with a 3.5" and 4" lift, I used 6 degree shims. A CV shaft is a different set of rules. Why did you use 6 degree shims? I would bet if you simply changed to 2.5 degree shims, your problem would be eliminated. Then again, a SYE with a CV shaft is certainly a better solution.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

Thanks for the advice guys. The reason for the 6 degree shim is that is what came on hte spring assembly. Hey Idaho, how about that hardtop?
jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2002, 06:03 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by jeepinarkansas:
<strong>Thanks for the advice guys. The reason for the 6 degree shim is that is what came on hte spring assembly. Hey Idaho, how about that hardtop?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, if you do try the 2.5 degree shim and it works. I think both of you should get back with those guys and let them know they're sending the wrong shims with the kit. I wonder how many others out there didn't know and thought the only fix was an SYE. I mean, 6 degrees is perfect for an SYE and 3-4" of lift. Seems almost suspicious don't it?
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.