SYE shop cost - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE shop cost

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For a slip yoke eliminator and double cardan driveshaft, the rear axle must be angled up toward the output shaft of the transfer case. The week its gonna take is probably to get the driveshaft made up and sent to you. He's spot on with the timing and is probably outsourcing most of the parts like the shaft and marking it up.

I would find a xj front shaft and a reputable driveline company and have them cut it down for you after you get your measurements for the shaft with the SYE in place.

Unread 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The only possible way i could think a 1400 dollar quote would be possible is if he was going to grind off the old axle perches and re weld new ones on at the correct angle. As others have stated, a quality SYE is $200-250 and a quality Tom Woods shaft is $250-350. Either way, that shop's prices are way high. I could have a local shop do everything for around $800. Are there other shops nearby you could get a quote from?
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #18
AbAngler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Took me and a buddy about an hour to do mine. Think I paid roughly $600 for the SYE (Tera Flex) and another $500 to have a drive shaft built. Those are Canadian prices, so should be cheaper in your neck of the woods.
Unread 02-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
Jeepinsince3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The guy was saying that he would order everything needed (kit and new driveshaft) and then it would take week to get it done once I dropped off the jeep. So still a long time I think with an added 2-3 days of shipping and making.

This was the first shop that I checked out, there is another shop on the same HWY that I haven't checked yet. I had heard that they weren't the friendliest or the cheapest so I was putting them off but maybe I will check them out to see what there price is.
Jeepinsince3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #20
Jeepinsince3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am liking what jsipe is saying tho. I'm good with spending 600 or so on parts and then taking care of it myself with some help over the weekend.
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #21
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd help you out if we were closer.
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeepinsince3,

Glad youre not afraid to do the work yourself! If you do decide to go that route, my buddy ran this exact kit for a few years until he sold his jeep (for a different jeep of course)

http://www.adamsdriveshaftoffroad.co...shaft-package/

Tom Woods also offers package deals. The guys on this forum are great to turn to and with their help I am sure you could do it yourself. I have not actually installed a SYE on my jeep yet but I do have a transfer case with a SYE riding shotgun just gotta find the time to take the cases apart.

From everything I have read, it is fairly simple and straightforward. Is the jeep your daily driver? I am still very curious as to why the quote you received from that shop is so high.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #23
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't done an sye but I had to swap gears on my grand cherokee tcase when I put in an np231 from a wrangler. The hardest part was getting the little alignment pin to stay, or whatever that little pin is. It aggravated the heck out of me but I did it in our gravel driveway with a Walmart jack by myself. Its pretty straight forward, as far as opening and seeing where everything goes
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
Jeepinsince3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that link! That does look like a pretty good package deal and the shirt is an added bonus. I haven't heard of that brand but I have heard of Tom woods.

My jeep is my DD. I don't drive long distances just mainly to work and then every so often go through some trails in the mountains.

I am curious to see what other shops around my area charge to do it so I can compare it to the first shop. Still going to plan on giving it a shot myself after I found out which brand I want to go with.

Thanks for all the info, advice and help guys! Appreciate everything that is suggested
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #25
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

check http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/allforums.php?f=157 , it has a lot of Oregon people on it , someone there could probably help you or give you a lead on a reputable shop
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #26
Jeepinsince3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Kind of new to maneuvering the forum here, how did you find this list?

I'd like to know how to find it if I lose that link! Can't always trust my phone to keep it saved ha
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #27
Tillmbil
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have my Jeep at a shop right now getting the Advanced Adaptors SYE install and a custom driveshaft.
I would highly recommend calling Carolina Drivelines and speaking with Brett. $465 for their best drive shaft and the AA SYE, that inlcudes shipping. The SYE arrived in two days. He said the driveshaft is a three day turnaround once they get the measurements. He says the AA SYE is his preferred product, and his driveshafts are hand welded, unlike the Tom Woods which are machine welded. He does speak highly of the Tom Woods driveshafts though.

I am paying the shop $300 for the labor. They are installing my ford 8.8 at the same time, so that eliminates any cost to adjust the rear axle angle.

The shop let me order and pay for the SYE and Driveshaft myself. Just another way to go. By the way the AA SYE can be bought online everywhere for $199, and Summit has it for $199 including shipping. They also have the kit to include the Tom Woods driveshaft.
Tillmbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #28
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Check out some vendors on the forum if you're thinking about buying and doing it your self. I bought my SYE & Driveshaft from The Jeep Hut. SYE is the Advanced Adapters & driveshaft was from Tatton. On I I installed the SYE & took the measurements they had the shaft made Dan to my door in 3-4 days.

I don't DD my XJ, but did use it that week in 4x4 (front wheel drive) on some short trips.

Biggest thing to watch is when putting the case back together, be extra sure you get the oil pickup line installed properly. Even if you're not too sure about mechanics, the SYE is possibably the simplest mod a DIYer can do. Just read up on others How To's and you'll save $ for other mods.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #29
Jeepinsince3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Has any one heard of the brand rugged ridge? I just saw a quick install video for that brand and they have a"mega short" shaft to accommodate for a longer drive shaft? Does anyone have any input on that maybe?

Also wondering if anyone has done the install of this with leaving the tcase left attached to the tranny so you don't have to pull it out. How hard/easy is it to do the install with just floor jacks and stands?

Thanks everyone for the info.
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #30
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I've heard of Rugged Ridge but don't have any experience with them.

The short SYE is for wranglers, I think it's for wranglers that have 6+" of lift to help correct the pinion angle.

I did leave my TC in when I installed my SYE. It was Cake. I do have 5.5" of lift so I could sit up while I was doing the install. I'd recommend doing it with the case left in. That stops the hassle of getting to those "hard to get to bolts".
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.