SYE with regular driveshaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE with regular driveshaft?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

SYE with regular driveshaft?

I mean without a double cardon joint. Any way this works? Does anyone sell one? With all the DS length gain by getting the slip yoke out of there it would seem a ujoint DS would work fine with moderate lift. And this is much cheaper to buy/modify/maintain. I had a CJ5 (T18A) with a 12" DS running at about 13 degrees at each joint and it was happy.

Unread 04-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe you can make it work with a CJ DS? You would have to see what the u-joint sizes are for the CJ cause I think they are larger.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you pinion angle is correct I do not see why you could not.
You are still going to have to have a driveshaft made. One with a slip yoke in it.
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

As TSEJeepers stated, you need a driveshaft with slip in it... the CV part isn't necessissarily required but you must have slip in the shaft it's self. The whole reason you have a "slip-yoke" is to allow inward and outward movement of the driveshaft when the suspension experiences a shock (speed bump, off road, etc.). If there is not slip in the driveshaft OR in the yoke, you have a solid pice of steel connecting the driveshaft yoke to the transfercase yoke... When you hit a bump, it forces the driveshaft into the transfercase or into the pinion yoke, eventually one will give. You will 100% break the rear half of your transfercase, or destroy your pinion bearing if the driveshaft does not have a way of moving whenever the suspension experiences shock. At the shop I get people comming in all the time where the splines on the driveshaft siezed and wasn't letting their driveshaft expand and compress and it's amazing what that will do to a rear end.

The "CV" part of the driveshaft just allows for better driveline angles, most people dont know it but the most important part of the "CV" driveshaft they are putting in after getting a fixed yoke (SYE) is the part in the middle that allows the driveshaft to compress. Again, the "CV" part is just to allow constant velocity of the ujoints on both ends of the driveshaft which prevents wobbling and/or vibration.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i just bought a sye for my np231. i have a buddy who took a front drive shaft out of a cherokee and had it cut down and balanced, hadnt put it in yet though. that works doesnt it?
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstrong50 View Post
i just bought a sye for my np231. i have a buddy who took a front drive shaft out of a cherokee and had it cut down and balanced, hadnt put it in yet though. that works doesnt it?
Yes, that works perfectly, it's actually a very popular mod. The reason it works is because the cherokee shaft has the section in the middle that allows you to stretch and compress the driveshaft... Put simply, it has the "really thin part in the middle".

Here is a picture of what i'm talking about... Click on the link and have a look, in the middle of the shaft, it narrows down, this allows the driveshaft to slide out longer and shorter.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag.../105979-md.jpg
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that beats spending 400$ on a slip yoke drive shaft. although..when i was at the junkyard yesterday pulling some parts, while i was surrounded by cherokees, i thought it was the rear drive shaft...needless to say, i didnt find what i was looking for, and when i got home my buddy finally called back and informed me it was the front drives shaft. that was after i looked in about 20 cherokees for the drive shaft.
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, I understand the shaft needs to slip. The Cherokee front is a good idea. I have a good shop for shortening/balancing. I was just wondering with a 16" or so shaft if it was necessary for it to be CV. I thought the yoke might be different between a CV and regular ujoint yoke. If so the SYE would need a differnt yoke.
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

yes the yokes are different.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Headstrong, which yard do you go to? I used a XJ front shaft for mine and it worked out great.
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I done just what your asking about on a cherokee I used to own. I just went to the wrecking yard with my driveline measurements and and ujoint and started searcing tell I found one the length I needed with correct u joints than got the u bolts for a driveline and maounted it to the yoke that came with the sye kit drove it like that for 2 yrs tell I lifted it more and needed to go to a double cardan style. hope that helps
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
Hey Headstrong, which yard do you go to? I used a XJ front shaft for mine and it worked out great.
i go to pick-a-part. and sometimes pull-a-part.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.