SYE necessary? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE necessary?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-08-2001, 02:56 PM   #1
mikeyjph

SYE necessary?

Are there any huge advantages to installing a slip-yoke eliminator over just dropping the transfer case? Will my drivershaft be falling out all the time if I do a lot of 4-wheeling? Also, I have a 3 1/2 inch suspension lift, but the front end seems to be sagging because the shackles are pushed out instead of straight up and down. Will a small shackle lift help this? Should I put extended brake lines on? Thanks for any help.

mikeyjph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2001, 04:34 PM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the only bad thing about not doing the SYE conversion is that you get a lot of driveshaft vibration. It's annoying, but tolerable. It IS possible to get enough flex to drop your driveshaft, but I have never had this happen to me personally. I think you'd really have to work to do that...

As for your shackles, you should NOT have the shackles straight up-and-down. Unless, that is, you don't want any articulation and enjoy the ride quality of a Mack truck. There should be about a 20* angle to the shackles when the Jeep is sitting on level ground. Even with a shackle lift, you should still have an angle to them. This is in no way indicative of sagging springs.

As for extended brake lines, if you have a 3" lift and DON'T have extended brake lines already, you're just asking to tear a brake line the first time you go wheeling...

Hope this helped.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2001, 07:55 PM   #3
bob91yj

T-case lowering kit is more of a band-aid, and the SYE is the cure. If you lifted yor Jeep for more ground clearance, (and articulation), lowering the T-case kind of defeats the purpose.
My buddy tried to hold off on the SYE and use the T-case kit on his '89 YJ, sucked the D-shaft out within 200 ft. This was with the RE 4.5"ED.
Unread 10-09-2001, 08:47 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No kid'n Bob. I didn't realize he was skipping the SYE. I thought RE sold it as "SYE required."
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2001, 06:56 PM   #5
bob91yj

The RE 4.5 was sold to my buddy through one of the local 4x4 shops that is always featured in the rags doing installs. He was assured that this lift had been installed numerous times and the stock D-shaft would work with the T-case lowering kit. NOT.

In RE's defense they do reccommend an extended slip yoke or SYE and CV shaft in their FAQ's.
Unread 10-12-2001, 02:05 PM   #6
Tman

One problem with the stock slipyoke setup that if you break a u-joint on a hill you the driveshaft can slip out and you'll lose most of the tcase fluid. Now, u-joints can be fixed easily but you need to carry ATF fluid with you too. Not to mention damage done to the environment.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.