SYE kit variables! Need explaination of types - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE kit variables! Need explaination of types

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

SYE kit variables! Need explaination of types

Ok so i've searched through a bunch of different threads and not found exactly what i am looking for. so im making my own!

SYE kits, regular SYE, Super Duty, Short, Super Short.... all these different types... which is the best for me.

Right now I have close to 6" suspension lift, I have a RC 4" and 1.75" Boom Shackles... I have the 2.5 5spd, 4.88 gears and locked all around... Someone please explain... I'm planning a 4.0 swap for next year and was planning to just reinstall the SYE on that Tcase or reuse my case and swap the inputs or maybe even a Rubi case... but I need to do a SYE now, and I have not a clue what I need to buy.

Also, recommendations on vendor/Manufactor would be great too.!

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The shorter the SYE, the longer the CV style driveshaft can be.

The longer the driveshaft, the less angled the shaft is.

The less angle the driveshaft has, the less vibration and binding will be allowed into the system.

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so should i do the super short conversion? Is there any disadvantages to doing the super short.

Unread 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The disadvantages I found, were that the super shortys only works with the electronic speedometer (I think years 92+) and cost a bit more. Although it's just the difference of $100, I would have to buy a new speedometer, which is a $200 part.

JB Conversions, Inc.

JB Conversions, Inc.

The regular length SYE still works. It's not that the super shorty fixes an inherent problem, but improves upon an already good part.

The extra cost is not outweighed by the benefits of a slightly smaller unit. In a perfect world, I would have the super shorty, but realistically I shouldn't even be spending money on my Jeep in the first place.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 95 as well, mine has the 4.0. with a 4" RE lift with Currie shackles and Daystar 1 " body lift. I went with a super short from JB Conversions. Everything went in very easily. I pulled my tc to clean it up as well as the underneath of the tub. One thing I did not appreciate was having to go to NAPA to get the correct plug that connects to their speedometer pickup. For $300.00 they could have at least included that stinking plug! I got the Tom Woods driveshaft 20.5" yoke to yoke on the rear and put a TJ CV driveshaft on the front. All is good again. Good Luck on yours
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsjeep View Post
I have a 95 as well, mine has the 4.0. with a 4" RE lift with Currie shackles and Daystar 1 " body lift. I went with a super short from JB Conversions. Everything went in very easily. I pulled my tc to clean it up as well as the underneath of the tub. One thing I did not appreciate was having to go to NAPA to get the correct plug that connects to their speedometer pickup. For $300.00 they could have at least included that stinking plug! I got the Tom Woods driveshaft 20.5" yoke to yoke on the rear and put a TJ CV driveshaft on the front. All is good again. Good Luck on yours
any pics to go along... trying to see what the longer DS will look like installed

Unread 05-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will shoot a picture this evening
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.