which sye kit to buy? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > which sye kit to buy?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #31
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffyj View Post
If ur just swapping rears n not changing lift ur dshaft will be fine. I did jb conversion sye a few yrs back n shortened xj shaft off a 99. About $320 total. My cv cluster crapped out last fall. I rebuilt it for $50 (can only do if pin inside don't snap). My setup has held good for over 4yrs of abuse now. Don't matter wat yr xj u get from. I was thinking newer be in better shape but not always. This process took a wk to get done (I have a car) idk how fast tom woods does it.
i will be lifting 2"-4" depending on what i need to clear 35's. i'm on stock springs now with room for 33's and after the metalcloaks and comp cut i may have room for 35's without any lift but i will be going no less than 2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
From what I remember when I did my 8.8, the difference in length in shafts from before and after 8.8 was about 3/8". Your shaft should have enough to cover this unless you are already running it at extremes.
good to know i was thinking the difference was in inches not eighths.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #32
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The difference will be more if you do a lift at the same time. I did my lift first, then added the 8.8. I am now considering going with an SYE (or front locker- hoping to squeeze enough $$ to do both).
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #33
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I should've been more clear. The driveline shop should have a basic understanding of the differences, so if you run the shaft at the length for the 8.8 on the D35 it may run a little further out on the slip than it would on the 8.8 in either case I don't think it will make much difference. I mean, I don't think anyone takes a measurement for a driveshaft and says "I need it 18 & 11/16's long" it's not that precise. Hope that makes a bit more sense.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha, thanks
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #35
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah pretty much, i will more than likely be doing a lift, sye, and rear shaft well before the axle goes under. the 3/8" (8.8 is longer i'm asuming so shaft needs to be shorter) difference will be easy to allow for at the time i get the shaft made.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 05-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #36
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a JB Conversions SYE a few days ago to go on the NP231 I'm rebuilding. As far as shafts go I'm just cutting an XJ shaft because I have two of them in my garage right now, but I may order a Tatton if I'm feeling Spiffy in a few weeks.

I put an 8.8 in my YJ before I did the SYE and the stock shaft works just fine, just make sure you set your pinion angle and such correctly. I plan to replace my AX5 with an AX15 in a few weeks and I'll add my rebuilt T-case with the SYE in then. At that point the stock shaft would not be sufficient even if I kept it so I'll need to do the double joint shaft.

-Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #37
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i guess i should have mentioned this before, with the 5.2 in place it is 4" higher and 3.5" or so forward from where the 4.0 was. as the driveline sits now i could make a 15.5" rear shaft work for DD purposes but not for anything with any sort of axle movement involved. that's most of the reason for this thread, i will need to go sye, and custom shaft before i do any playing off-road. the need for an sye arises from the new position of the x-case output just so happens to fall right under one of those welded in crossmembers in the body tunnel. after going sye the yolk will be in front of the rib and in no danger of hitting anything.

Unread 05-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #38
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My rear driveline ended up being 21" long with where I placed my motor/trans/t-case combo after my 5.2 swap and the SOA I did. Not too bad considering the stocker for my old 4.0 powered YJ was 14" long lol.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #39
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm happy with my rugged ridge sye.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #40
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

mopar long time last time we talked you had just gotten the 5.2 fired. you ever figure out the power/mileage issues?

i'm estimating 18-20" for my rear shaft after lift, 21" is a decent improvement over stock. i may get more if i do the xj spring conversion and stretch the rear a couple inches.

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #41
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, the problem was not having the correct VSS for the OBD-II system. Got a 3 wire installed and all is good. Power is great, saw 20MPG out of it (usually run 18 or so just because I love to hear my ponies) and no more dying on downshift. I even have an actual Magnum block (as opposed to my LA-Magnum hybrid) to build up and put in place of the somewhat tired one in it right now. I am thinking about stroking/boring it to a 390 but will just have to see what the financial crystal ball has in store for me. I am building tube fenders for it right now.
I considered a stretch, but I dont really want to lose fuel capacity and I am not going to run a cell in the cab. I actually like have a very stubby rig, means less chance of hi-centering on something. I do need to get rid of the wagoneer front shocks that I put on the back. They are freakin stiff!
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #42
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went with Tom Woods for both the SYE and driveshaft. I bought the cheapest SYE they had, which isn't as strong as some others but didn't cost as much either. They verified several times that I new what I was getting... basicly a cut down tail and I was fine with that. The driveshaft I got was amazing! Probably comparable to some others that were posted but this is the only "real" driveshaft I've bought so I don't know.

I can tell you that customer service is exellent. Other than being extremely helpfull on the phone and very politly answering all questions I had, they were great with follow-up calls. I had sent an email Friday after business hours to correct my shipping address (might have called also but can't remember), my bad not theirs. I got a call from Tom himself that Saturday (even though they were closed) to clarify and correct the issue before it was sent out. Kind of suprised the heck out of me. Plus shipping was free if I remember correctly.
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.