which sye kit to buy? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > which sye kit to buy?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

For my driveshaft I got on my local Jeep club forum and asked the guys who they recommended in my area. I then went down to PHX rack and axle and had one made from scratch. IIRC it was right around $300. I also got a discount being part of the local forum of which they are a vendor.

You could give this same idea a try in your area. First off you support local business and second if something goes wrong with the ds you don't have to send it back to whomever you bought it from and wait and pay shipping etc. When I have an issue with mine I just take it back to these local guys and they usually have it taken care of same day. One time they even fixed mine for free because they stand behind their work and they don't have corporate tape to jump through.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another fan of Tom Wood. After the customer service I received I am a fan for life. Before you buy an XJ shaft to modify check your local driveline shops. I live in a rural area with little competition and when I called the two shops local to me I was told ~$200 to shorten and balance a shaft. That did not include the cost of the shaft, new u-joints, or a CV rebuild. For less then $500 I got a SYE and a CV shaft from Tom Wood. I am all for supporting local shops. However, in my situation it was not an option. I did have an issue and Tom Wood told me he did not care what the issue was and sent out a new shaft the next day no questions asked with no return shipping. All that mattered to him was and I quote " I want the customer happy."

BTW, I know I post the same on every SYE/CV shaft question. I don't mean to sound like a broken record. But, everyone complains when something goes wrong. I believe in doing the same when a company goes above what is expected and makes things right.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #18
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I am the lone man out, I put a Rugged Ridge SYE kit in my YJ. It fit nicely, the output shaft was considerably beefier than the stock one it replaced, the bearings were American and the instructions were decent. Its living behind my 5.2 just fine, even did some rock crawling the other weekend, not a peep out of anything in the drivetrain. I got my SYE and shaft from ebay for $410 shipped to me. Within a couple of days I had the SYE, got it installed, emailed the measurements and the shaft was shipped out to me the next day. Not too bad considering the local shops wanted at least $300 to make a shaft and I would have still had to buy a SYE kit on top of that. Mine was made by a guy out of Nevada, goes by the name of Adams driveline or something like that.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69
I guess I am the lone man out, I put a Rugged Ridge SYE kit in my YJ. It fit nicely, the output shaft was considerably beefier than the stock one it replaced, the bearings were American and the instructions were decent. Its living behind my 5.2 just fine, even did some rock crawling the other weekend, not a peep out of anything in the drivetrain. I got my SYE and shaft from ebay for $410 shipped to me. Within a couple of days I had the SYE, got it installed, emailed the measurements and the shaft was shipped out to me the next day. Not too bad considering the local shops wanted at least $300 to make a shaft and I would have still had to buy a SYE kit on top of that. Mine was made by a guy out of Nevada, goes by the name of Adams driveline or something like that.
Running the same kit *Adams driveshaft* customer service is great, and they gave me a life time warranty on both products sye/cv shaft.
Unread 04-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #20
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
this is pretty much exactly what i am looking for. i have a front shaft being made from my old front shaft (i moved the motor 3" forward when i put in the 5.2). i am only looking for a rear shaft with the sye. i will defiantly look into the tatton shaft. what is the jf code?
I don't think he has a code on the eBay site. I just called so I could give him my measurements and get the exact right length. His number is on that site and here on JF in the product reviews. Just tell him you are a JF member. I believe he has SYE/DS packages too.

Just FYI, I installed a RR megashort SYE and was very pleased with the product and install. Still need to test it though.
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #21
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Couple of questions here, and I'm hoping timatoe will chime in too. I'm definately going to go with JBs SYE, and the modified XJ shaft. Any particular year XJ better than others? I'm planning on doing the 8.8 also but not yet, so if I go ahead and put the SYE and XJ shaft on now, all I'll have to do is shorten the shaft some more when I do the 8.8? How has everybodies XJ shafts held up? Anybody wishing they would have gone Woods or other after market or custom built instead?
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #22
18Dmedic
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I also have the AA SYE with a Tom Woods DS, very happy with it. Another satisfied customer for life.
18Dmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #23
screamn56

Tatton has 2 different wall thickness on his shafts. i bent my .120 wall he replaced it free. So i upgraded to the .250 wall for 15 bucks more. When you call there you get him and only him. He ships in 24-48 hrs of u placing the order. You can't beat his service. just my .02
screamn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter92YJ View Post
Couple of questions here, and I'm hoping timatoe will chime in too. I'm definately going to go with JBs SYE, and the modified XJ shaft. Any particular year XJ better than others? I'm planning on doing the 8.8 also but not yet, so if I go ahead and put the SYE and XJ shaft on now, all I'll have to do is shorten the shaft some more when I do the 8.8? How has everybodies XJ shafts held up? Anybody wishing they would have gone Woods or other after market or custom built instead?
In theory, you'll need to shorten again once the 8.8 is in, in reality, I'd talk to the drive line shop and see if there's a happy medium with the length. My rear shaft has held up fine, I did bend the hell outta the front shaft my first time out SOA and on the 35's, but the rear has been fine.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #25
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome input on shafts and sye kits. now that timatoe mentions the 8.8 being different length than the d35, i will most likely be waiting for the lift, sye, and rear shaft. i have an 8.8 on reserve, i am just waiting for ratmonkey to finish his d60 so i can buy his 8.8 from him. after the axle is in then i'll worry about making permanent purchases for the driveline.

besides i need to make the jeep move first under it's own power. check the build thread the 5.2 is alive!

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #26
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input Tim. If I'm understanding correctly, there will not be much difference in shaft length between the D35 and 8.8. Time to do some more research and see how much, and find that happy medium.
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #27
bigdogkov
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamn56 View Post
Tatton has 2 different wall thickness on his shafts. i bent my .120 wall he replaced it free. So i upgraded to the .250 wall for 15 bucks more. When you call there you get him and only him. He ships in 24-48 hrs of u placing the order. You can't beat his service. just my .02
I just picked a front and rear shaft from him. They are freakin amazing. Personally, they seem much beefier than a TW shaft. I put a 241 in my YJ and he made me Rubi shafts and I changed to 1330 yokes. Ran a club comp at Rausch Creek a few weeks ago and they worked perfect. I highly recommend Tatton shafts!
bigdogkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #28
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If ur just swapping rears n not changing lift ur dshaft will be fine. I did jb conversion sye a few yrs back n shortened xj shaft off a 99. About $320 total. My cv cluster crapped out last fall. I rebuilt it for $50 (can only do if pin inside don't snap). My setup has held good for over 4yrs of abuse now. Don't matter wat yr xj u get from. I was thinking newer be in better shape but not always. This process took a wk to get done (I have a car) idk how fast tom woods does it.
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #29
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffyj View Post
If ur just swapping rears n not changing lift ur dshaft will be fine. I did jb conversion sye a few yrs back n shortened xj shaft off a 99. About $320 total. My cv cluster crapped out last fall. I rebuilt it for $50 (can only do if pin inside don't snap). My setup has held good for over 4yrs of abuse now. Don't matter wat yr xj u get from. I was thinking newer be in better shape but not always. This process took a wk to get done (I have a car) idk how fast tom woods does it.
I already have 4-5" of lift on now, so if I do the SYE now with my D35, I won't have to shorten the XJ shaft more when I do the 8.8 later? Thanks for the input. I can't afford nor justify the expense of going Woods or Tatton for my setup/use.
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #30
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

From what I remember when I did my 8.8, the difference in length in shafts from before and after 8.8 was about 3/8". Your shaft should have enough to cover this unless you are already running it at extremes.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.