SYE/Driveshaft/Future 8.8 Concern? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE/Driveshaft/Future 8.8 Concern?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Sorcarms

SYE/Driveshaft/Future 8.8 Concern?

Hello again gentlemen!
I've searched and read up plenty on SYE kits and the cardone driveshaft (DS henceforth) I need to order. I got the super short SYE kit from JBConversions for my '94 YJ. I have yet to install it. The YJ I purchased with some sort of Procomp lift (Seemed to be about 4") and I got about another inch of lift from some boomerang shackles (Clearance for my 35s). So, here's my question. I've read how to take the measurements for the DS I need to order to install the SYE, BUT, my concern begins when considering the 8.8 I will install sometime in the future. I'm not really about to jump on that as it will be a bunch of money to do properly, but it WILL happen in due time. I'll rag on the Dana 35 for a bit longer. However, I don't want to wait until the 8.8 swap to do the SYE install. So all in all I have about 5.25" of lift. How will this future rear-end-swap affect my DS?
Also do any of you have any experience with the Tatton driveshafts listed on eBay? The feedback seems terrific but to save only about ~$65 I may just go ahead and spend the $300 on a Tom Woods, yeah? I don't do any crazy offroading but I'd like to build the YJ to be able to take anything I throw at it. It was that mentality that cancelled out the idea for an XJ cardone DS; or should I still consider that?
I'm a newb to this, as you can tell. Your knowledge and input will be greatly appreciated!
Last but not least, if you care to check out my YJ build progress (Slowly but surely) you can find me on Instagram. I'm not really starting a forum thread or anything but following a couple builds via mostly pictures: IG: @94yjbuild.
Thanks again guys

Sorcarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcarms View Post
Hello again gentlemen!
I've searched and read up plenty on SYE kits and the cardone driveshaft (DS henceforth) I need to order. I got the super short SYE kit from JBConversions for my '94 YJ. I have yet to install it. The YJ I purchased with some sort of Procomp lift (Seemed to be about 4") and I got about another inch of lift from some boomerang shackles (Clearance for my 35s). So, here's my question. I've read how to take the measurements for the DS I need to order to install the SYE, BUT, my concern begins when considering the 8.8 I will install sometime in the future. I'm not really about to jump on that as it will be a bunch of money to do properly, but it WILL happen in due time. I'll rag on the Dana 35 for a bit longer. However, I don't want to wait until the 8.8 swap to do the SYE install. So all in all I have about 5.25" of lift. How will this future rear-end-swap affect my DS?
Also do any of you have any experience with the Tatton driveshafts listed on eBay? The feedback seems terrific but to save only about ~$65 I may just go ahead and spend the $300 on a Tom Woods, yeah? I don't do any crazy offroading but I'd like to build the YJ to be able to take anything I throw at it. It was that mentality that cancelled out the idea for an XJ cardone DS; or should I still consider that?
I'm a newb to this, as you can tell. Your knowledge and input will be greatly appreciated!
Last but not least, if you care to check out my YJ build progress (Slowly but surely) you can find me on Instagram. I'm not really starting a forum thread or anything but following a couple builds via mostly pictures: IG: @94yjbuild.
Thanks again guys
Well if it makes you feel any better I installed my SYE and had an XJ shaft cut down and rocked the dana 35 for a year before I swapped in the 8.8. I didn't have to make any changes to my driveshaft. Here is how mine sat after the 8.8 swap, I reused the 8.8 perches.

forumrunner_20130401_073035.jpg
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The xj shaft is cheap enough to cut several times if you need to. I would suggest throwing it all (SYE, cut down shaft, 8.8) in at the same time. Tom Woods has great products but for this instance, find a local shop to cut down the xj shaft.
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

the 8.8 wont make that much of a difference later. if you dont do the sye now you will be spending money to fix the 35 or having to replace it before you were ready.
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am sorta in the same boat, I do not have the fund for the 8.8 at this time but I have to swap out my transmission and while it was down I had enough for the SYE. I am thinking the exact same thing about the drive shaft. I don't want to spend money twice. Heck you never know what life will throw at you and I may have something come up and the 8.8 will have to wait another year... Looking forward to seeing what you did and how it worked...
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

After debating the xj shaft and a new shaft, i finally went new. Went with the tatton one eBay. Came fairly quick and works well.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I installed my AA sye and a Tom Woods shaft with my D35, then when I did my 8.8 I didnt need to change anything.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.