sye on d35 to 8.8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sye on d35 to 8.8

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

sye on d35 to 8.8

Hi guys, I want to get rid of my t case drop and go for an sye. I currently have a d35 but want to upgrade to a 8.8 in the future. I will have the sye installed with the d35 before I do the swap. My question is will I have to modify or buy a different/longer driveshaft when I do intend to do the 8.8 swap or can I just reconnect the driveshaft to the 8.8 without any problems?

Unread 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You'll probably have to shorten the driveshaft from the Dana 35 to the 8.8. Why not just swap it all at the same time? That's one set of perches and one driveshaft.

Patience
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You'll probably have to shorten the driveshaft from the Dana 35 to the 8.8. Why not just swap it all at the same time? That's one set of perches and one driveshaft.

Patience
If it needs to be shortened than I will wait to do it at the same time, no sense in spending that extra time and money. Thanks for the quick reply
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I intalled an AA SYE and Tom Wood's shaft with my 35. Everything was fine when I put the 8.8 in.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same upgrade, but I did mine all at the same time. I also took the opportunity to change the pinion angle.
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did my SYE & 8.8 at the same time also.

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
0III0forlife
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The pinion on the 8.8 sits further forward than the 35, but it also sits further toward the passenger side. So they more or less cancel each other out.

I did the SYE on mine when I still had the 35, and when I did the 8.8 the slip yoke on the CV shaft never changed on how far it was on the splines.
0III0forlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I intalled an AA SYE and Tom Wood's shaft with my 35. Everything was fine when I put the 8.8 in.
Agree with this...d35 first with sye and cv shaft...then put in 8.8 with the same shaft.

The 8.8 pinion is only 1/8" longer...and as mentioned before is offset more than the d35 which makes up for it

1990 YJ - Trying to sell - Previous Build
blitz134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post

Agree with this...d35 first with sye and cv shaft...then put in 8.8 with the same shaft.

The 8.8 pinion is only 1/8" longer...and as mentioned before is offset more than the d35 which makes up for it
Ok thank you this makes my plan flow a little easier.
Unread 03-07-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For those of you that ran CV style shaft with d35, how was the pinion angle setup? I would imagine shims as I really doubt anyone took time to weld perches at correct angle on the d35. Might as well put the time into the 8.8
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I installed an AA SYE and Tom Wood's shaft with my 35. Everything was fine when I put the 8.8 in.
^
Same here. I told Tom what my plans where, when I bought them. He told me that it probably wouldn't be a problem. And if it was, he'd adjust it for free.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3 View Post
For those of you that ran CV style shaft with d35, how was the pinion angle setup? I would imagine shims as I really doubt anyone took time to weld perches at correct angle on the d35. Might as well put the time into the 8.8
I think I used 8 degree shims to get the right angle, of course once you go 8.8 you'll be setting the perches so the shims are temporary.
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
I think I used 8 degree shims to get the right angle, of course once you go 8.8 you'll be setting the perches so the shims are temporary.
That information helps a lot. I can split the project into 2 parts and have minimal down time. Then give the shims to the next guy.
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.