SYE and CV Driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE and CV Driveshaft

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
LivinCountry
1992 YJ Wrangler 

SYE and CV Driveshaft

I'm looking at a 4" suspension lift for mine, and haven't found a decent priced SYE and CV combo. What's better; buy them separate or get a combo deal?

LivinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
LivinCountry
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic

image-2435797235.jpg
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice pic! This all depends on your wallet. Many swear by Tom Woods CV shafts. I went to Six States and had them build a quality shaft using my measurements.
You can save some by using a XJ front CV shaft and having it sized and balance to fit on your rear once the SYE is installed. I would suggest to look for the best SYE you can afford and then get a XJ front CV shaft in good condition and have it sized to fit. You don't need a Super Short SYE unless you are dealing with a longer driveline swap or going much higher than 4" of lift. A standard SYE will suit you fine with a 4" lift.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I used a standard SYE off Ebay($189) and an explorer front DC shaft cut down.

Are you going with a double cordon drive shaft or just a CV drive shaft?

If your going to DC then you have to reset your pinion angle. ( good time for an 8.8 swap.

who were you following in that pic Grave Digger?
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
LivinCountry
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was planning on just a CV.

And no, I ran through some mud ruts at about 35.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinCountry View Post
I was planning on just a CV.

And no, I ran through some mud ruts at about 35.
You do mean double cardan cv right? I don't see a lot of benifit from an SYE without going double cardan. Sure if you break the joint the TC won't leak, but if it's to stop vibration from the lift you want the double cardan. If you don't want double cardan I'd go a super short SYE so at least your cv drive shaft will be longer and hopefully not vibrate.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got an AA SYE used for $100, got 2 XJ front shafts for $70 from the pick and pull and used the chop saw and welder at work to make both front and rear driveshafts. The driveshafts from the pick and pull were out of pretty new vehicles, so the u-joints were perfect. All in all, it cost me $175 to do the SYE and new driveshafts.
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
I got an AA SYE used for $100, got 2 XJ front shafts for $70 from the pick and pull and used the chop saw and welder at work to make both front and rear driveshafts. The driveshafts from the pick and pull were out of pretty new vehicles, so the u-joints were perfect. All in all, it cost me $175 to do the SYE and new driveshafts.
You did all that for less than the cost of a new SYE. WOW
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its really not hard at all. As long as you can lay a halfway decent bead with a welder, you are good. I have a Hobart 140 I am borrowing at the house, but decided to use the big Miller at work.

Poke around for a good deal on the SYE. Sometimes Advance Adapters has theirs for pretty cheap.
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
LivinCountry
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cool. I have been looking for a cheap SYE for a while. The cheapest I've seen is about $175 from Oconee Offroad. I haven't even started to look for a CV or a DC.
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I found it used over on Pirate. eBay usually has a couple on there, but i would buy a new one. I only snagged the used AA because he had a good reputation and send me detailed pictures of everything. I was holding out for a Super Short from JB Conversions, but they are looking at July/August before having any in stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.