Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

SYE & CV Drive Shaft Reviews

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  G30SFF250 
#1 ·
Hey, guys. I saw a post a while back about which SYE / CV drive shaft people were using. I'm about to swap in an AX15, and with the lift I have, going from the long auto tranny to the shorter AX15 means I'm going to have to pop in a SYE and CV Drive shaft and I'm looking to see which one I should get.

There's a kit on eBay for a CV Driveshaft from Adam's Drive Shaft & a SYE from Rugged Ridge for $400. This will be a weekend wheeler (maybe once a month) and a DD mostly.

Just wanted to know if I should plan on spending more or if I can find one for less!

Anyone care to post their experience with their SYE / CV Drive shaft and how much they paid?

#2 ·
I bought an Adams driveshaft and I love the customer service. I haven't had a chance to put in the my SYE, but what I did was buy a JB Conversions HD Standard length SYE and then ordered the driveshaft shaft from Adams. From what I can tell looking over the Driveshaft I got from Adams, it looks well built. I think you should be fine. Good luck!

#3 ·
I went with JB conversions SYE and Tom Woods shaft on my YJ. I've ordered 4 shafts (for various rigs) from them and each has been a great piece.

I don't remember the exact cost from the setup I got for my Jeep, I think ballpark it was:
SYE: ~200
Shaft: ~300

#8 ·
Spending more than $200 on a SYE isn't worth it unless you're going with JB Conversions which happens to be the best SYE on the market. Save up for it and cut down a XJ driveshaft and run with that combo. In fact, since youre saving so much money, get a second driveshaft made for a trail spare.

I run the terashort SYE only because it came with the 4:1 transfer case i bought. Otherwise, I would have a JB Conversions product installed.

#9 ·
Spending more than $200 on a SYE isn't worth it unless you're going with JB Conversions which happens to be the best SYE on the market. Save up for it and cut down a XJ driveshaft and run with that combo. In fact, since youre saving so much money, get a second driveshaft made for a trail spare.

I run the terashort SYE only because it came with the 4:1 transfer case i bought. Otherwise, I would have a JB Conversions product installed.
I've read that if you're going to use an XJ Driveshaft, since it's cut and rewelded, it should only be for offroad use. Is this not true?

Also, I'm looking at JB Conversions right now: and they have a CV Yoke for $200, while the non-CV are selling for more. And I was reading that the CV Yoke seems to be better than Non-CV yoke.
Anyone care to explain?

#14 ·
I went with the JB and the Tom Woods DS. I wanted to get rid of my 1" tc drop, so I bought the UFC skid plate. Had the sye and the new ds installed, then when installed the the new skid and removed the tc spacers the cv hit the underside of the tub. So back in went the tc drop spacers, so this sping I maybe trying to figure out the problem, it may require cutter the metal tub under my console and making a new higher hump to allow for this.

#15 ·
plumber1 said:
I went with the JB and the Tom Woods DS. I wanted to get rid of my 1" tc drop, so I bought the UFC skid plate. Had the sye and the new ds installed, then when installed the the new skid and removed the tc spacers the cv hit the underside of the tub. So back in went the tc drop spacers, so this sping I maybe trying to figure out the problem, it may require cutter the metal tub under my console and making a new higher hump to allow for this.
Just take a 3 lb sledge and clearance that area of the hump.

Adding a 1" MML helps add clearance between the output shaft and tub too. I'm not sure which skid you went with but with mine I cut the transmission mount down a little bit too to help with tub clearance as well.

I was able to get enough room with a 1"BL and UCFs highest clearance skid without the MML, but ended up putting one in to help with drive shaft slope.

Hope this helps.

#16 ·
I do have a 1" BL I was wondering if the MML would help I may look into this. I was upset that I had to put the TC spacers back in, that was one of the reasons I went with the UFC was to pick up clearance

#17 ·
plumber1 said:
I do have a 1" BL I was wondering if the MML would help I may look into this. I was upset that I had to put the TC spacers back in, that was one of the reasons I went with the UFC was to pick up clearance
Which skid do you have? The ultra high clearance or their high clearance?

#22 ·
Thanks bud, I spent hours searching today and the best I came up with was "late 80's- early 90's".

My SYE should be here any day, my new lift is on, and I can't drive it until I get my driveline fixed.

I have bad vibrations starting at 25 MPH.

I just want to get everything in order to install ASAP.:wave:

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.