Switching Carbs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Switching Carbs?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
bkaab
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Switching Carbs?

Hello all. I'm new to Jeeps and just picked up a really solid 88 YJ this week.

Ive been working on tuning it up all week. The previous owner had lots of odd stuff going on with the wiring. Wires cut to the o2 and temp sensor I think. Along with other wires cut and put back together. I don't know what he was doing. But figured the best thing to do at this point is to get rid of all the computer controlled crap that I can and get it to where I can tune it all myself.

So I did the "nutter bypass" a few days ago. I got all the way to setting up the carb and the stepper motor seemed to be seized. And I'd rather just ditch it.

So on to my delema. The Jeep seems to run 10x better then it did when I 1st got it. But still has a slight mis.

Ive been looking at replacing the carb with a a non electric one. Ive found a few switch kits up on ebay for the Motorcraft 2100/2150 and a kit to switch to a Weber. But I have also found an old non electric Carter that has been rebuilt.

Is a Motorcraft/Weber all that much better then a non electric Carter? Are they really worth the 200$+ difference in price?

Thank you all for your responses.

bkaab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Joe100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My 2 cents.

Hi! from all the carters BBD that i've rebuilt, the last Jeep I have has a Weber on it and I really like it compared to the carters. Mine also has the nutter by pass with a lot of stuff removed I'm still working on cleaning it up. i think ether one would be an improment Just my 2 cents. Good luck with what ever you do Joe100
Joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I moved from the Carter to the Motor craft 2150 a couple months ago. Night-Day difference!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, if you take off the stepper motor and soak it in a little solvent and then work it a little, you can get it to move.

The needles are held in place by notches in a little plate inside the housing. The little plate is what moves inside the housing.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are thousands of MC2100/50s in junkyards & they are super simple to rebuild.

I did my swap for 90 bucks total (carb, adapter, rebuild kit, etc) & it took about an hour to change them out.
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I never had a carter but I went from weber 34 to a motorcraft to a Holley 2 barrel and now have a Holley four barrel. It's worth skipping to an after market intake an a four barrel. Easy to tune and runs great.
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
bkaab
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well I found a 2100 with the plate and stuff used on ebay. Offered the guy 145$ and he took it. So it looks like I'll be switching over to that now. Is there any good write ups on switching to the Motorcraft carb I should read up on?
bkaab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just use the search button or google and a million write ups will show up
Unread 06-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Often a miss has nothing to do with a carb. Stumble, flat spots, yes, but you might be barking up the wrong tree.

You can get a motorcraft from a junkyard, but it will probably need a complete teardown and cleaning, and depending on what it came from might need different jets.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You will be happy with the Motorcraft. When I had my 87, I went from a Carter to a Weber to a Motorcraft. The Motorcraft was by far the easiest to make run properly and it seemed so much happier with it on there. Make sure ALL vacuum lines are good and pay attention to the details of whoever's directions you use to convert it. You already have a good part of the job done with the Nutter bypass. I had several good links to the conversion, but like a dummy I deleted them when I sold that jeep.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
lionsfand

I have an 88 YJ and I went with the Weber. The install went very easy. I ordered mine from Weber and got it and the linkage kit for $189.00 with free shipping. I have had it on for three months now and I have no complaints.
lionsfand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.