Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

swing out tire carrier, how do you keep it open?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  muddy93 
#1 ·
I'm trying to come up with a way to hold my tire carrier open, and wandered what everyone else was doing. currently I'm just using a bungie strap from the carrier to the passanger side rear wheel to keep it open. the bungie works, but I'd like to come up with something a little better.
thanks,
muddy

#5 ·
well, it seems like whenever I go wheeling, I'm the only one that brings tools, so I spend a lot of time with the back of my jeep open, getting tools out to fix everyone elses rigs. and it seems like every time, I'm on just enough of an incline that the tire wants to swing closed.

I kinda like the gas strut idea, but I wander how well something like that would hold up to being in the elements all the time, not to mention all the salt on the roads here in the winter?

#8 ·
Do you have an aftermarket style carrier, or are you using the stock carrier on the tailgate?

If it is an aftermarket carrier, I have seen people weld a spring pin (ebay link here) to their carrier hinge, and weld a round plate bellow the hinge with a couple holes in it, for the pin to slide into. Hope that makes sense, I have seen a picture, but I cannot find it now.

Edit: Ooops....looks like I was beat to it.

#10 ·
I used a hood strut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.