Swaybar Removal Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swaybar Removal Issue

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Swaybar Removal Issue

I'm attempting to remove the rear sway bar on my YJ, but can't get it off. I put a T55 torx bit on the head but it seems to slide out like it's too small. But any other size bigger (T60) is too large.

How am I supposed to remove the sway bar if I'm unable to undo it on the torx head side?

Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You mean track bar not sway bar but any way, you could always take the die grinder/sawsall to it. You will never want to reinstall it any ways!

[]||||[]
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
I'm attempting to remove the rear sway bar on my YJ, but can't get it off. I put a T55 torx bit on the head but it seems to slide out like it's too small. But any other size bigger (T60) is too large.

How am I supposed to remove the sway bar if I'm unable to undo it on the torx head side?
Make sure it's clean in there or the T55 wont fully seat. If it's clean, grind it off, it's stripped. You will never use them again.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Make sure it's clean in there or the T55 wont fully seat. If it's clean, grind it off, it's stripped. You will never use them again.
It's clean, but when you try to wrench it's like it's too small. So it's probably stripped.

I'll have to either bust the nut off or pay someone to grind it. Thanks!
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use the t55 to hold the bolt and I think a 18mm on an impact to remove the nut. Moving the bolt isn't gonna do anything but cause trouble. Torx style of trouble.
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, i used the t55 to hold it - and used impact to get the nut.
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I left the ends attached, and used a sawzall to cut the bar out.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

don't pay someone to grind it off....

Just buy a grinder and a cutting disk and do it yourself.

Won't be the last time you use the grinder.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I finally bit the bullet after almost knocking the fillings out of my teeth over bumps and took a sawzall to my Track bars this weekend... I wanted to get them off the right way in case I had to put them back on but the stupid Torx is a PITA! I can honestly say, I am pissed at myself for the last year of kidney busting rides... Its still a jeep and not smooth by any means but I will say there is a night and day drastic difference between running with and without track bars. I am glad I did it and even after almost an hour on the highway at 65-70 MPH I am glad... The Jeep does not wander and is not squirrely at all. Sawzall those puppies off!!!

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No, really? You mean that 99% of the posters here are right?

Well can you imagine that!

Removing both track bars is the cheapest and best upgrade you can do to your Yj.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You should really try to take them off without ruining them.

If your state has a safety inspection and you get someone who knows what they are looking at, you might need to put them back on to pass (and then take them back off).

I had trouble getting one of the torx bolts off. I ended up cutting the nut off with a dremel tool. It took forever, but I was afraid I'd mess something else up it I used my angle grinder.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
lincolnmatthews
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hope this isn't hyjacking this thrd but a dumb %^# quest why did they put them on in the 1st place if all you guy say take them off? I'm been a little hesitant I thought it might wander more on the hwy or the rear end may move more. I'm wondering if some of the vibes I get when I take off maybe coming thru the rear track bar as the rubber is gone & its rubbing against the frame brkt.
lincolnmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnmatthews
Hope this isn't hyjacking this thrd but a dumb %^# quest why did they put them on in the 1st place if all you guy say take them off? I'm been a little hesitant I thought it might wander more on the hwy or the rear end may move more. I'm wondering if some of the vibes I get when I take off maybe coming thru the rear track bar as the rubber is gone & its rubbing against the frame brkt.
Look at the ch7 you won't find a single track bar on that thing, jeep install them to help make them "safer"....... They had a bad wrap for rolling etc. but when they made the move to the yj they did several thing to make is safer a couple things for example are the wider leaf springs, wider axle etc.

[]||||[]
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To the OP... if you don't want to buy a grinder you can put vice grips on the nut side and drill out the bolt from the head side. Use a bit a size or two smaller/thinner than the bolt's shaft and drill straight to where the nut sits. Then BFH that SOB off. 8) I'd still look at getting a grinder though. Like Bogleparsons said, it won't be the last time you use it... especially owning a Jeep. My Dewalt grinder has to be one of the best tools I've purchased and it gets used regularly.
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Charles88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is it still good to remove the track bars having a SOA lift?
And thinking of lots more!
Charles88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.