Sway and Track Bars.....any use for them?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sway and Track Bars.....any use for them??

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-10-2001, 03:49 PM   #1
powjunkie

Sway and Track Bars.....any use for them??

I used to disconnect my sway bars everytime I went out on the rocks. And of course, there were a few times that I didn't feel like reconnecting till I got home. After a few times, I realized that I couldn't tell a difference on the road either way so I took them off for good. As far as the track bars (frame to axle bars), I was feeling brave one day and removed them for increased articulation. Same thing, couldn't tell a difference on the street. Anyone know of long term bad stuff that can come from this?

Unread 10-10-2001, 04:41 PM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running !Sway and !Track for almost a year now with no significant drivability issues. I notice a LOT of body lean, but then again I tend to forget I'm driving a Jeep once in a while...
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2001, 09:05 AM   #3
Tman

When I bought my YJ it had a 2.5" lift 31" ATs and both track bars and sway bar attached. It cornered like a race car. It also off-roaded like one. After dumping my trackbars and making a sway disconnect I definitely feel the rig being much looser all around. It's of course leaps and bounds better off-road. I'm now SOA and it's even worse. You just have to drive it with it in mind. It's very hard to make a trail rig ride like a car. I'm fine in a straight line cuz everything is aligned properly but emergency lane changes are scary! At any rate you have to be mindful and drive accordingly. Remember, if you hit somebody with a modified rig or even if they hit you (!) they can get after you and sue you out of your hide blaming lack of maintenance, improper install, etc. Better not to give them an excuse.
Unread 10-11-2001, 11:52 AM   #4
powjunkie

Thanks for the info guys. I've been running like this for over a year now, but was wondering if anything was getting thrown out of wack cuz of it. Like you say, once you adjust your driving habits, it's a no brainer.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.