sway bar disconnects - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sway bar disconnects

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-17-2001, 09:08 AM   #1
winokko

sway bar disconnects

Hopefully not too dumb a question.....whats the frickin trick to get the top bolt loose on the stock sway bar. I tried a bit of hammering & a prybar but to no avail! Seems I'm going to have the same problem when getting the center bolt out for the new steering stabilizer/shock. Thanks In-advance

Unread 05-17-2001, 12:03 PM   #2
wilhelm

winokko
i had the same problem with the swaybar links.i had to remove the whole assembly(swaybar&links)to be able to hit it harder with a hammer.(the bolt might be fused to the bushing sleeve)
as for the stabilizer; try a balljoint/tierod fork,if not,i had to remove the tierod from the steering knuckles and the center link and the stabilizer came right off . wilhelm nj
wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2001, 12:59 PM   #3
Kamicosmos

Dunno about the sway bar, will find out later this summer.
As far as the steering stabilizer goes, I just did mine...wow...I beat on that siezed up thing for a while, till I realized I squished out the bolt a bit so that once it broke free it wouldn't come out of the hole. So i hacksawed off the mushroomed end of the bolt, and then used a tierod fork to lever the thing out. The Rancho that replaced it uses a much more logical setup for the bolt, so hopefully I won't have to go through that again!

So anyways, my point is, don't beat on it, go get on of those forks first! Mine was 10.99 at Advance Auto...looks like a big tuning fork.

Dave
95 YJ
http://kamicosmos.jeepz.com
Kamicosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2001, 01:38 PM   #4
damonejeep

I had the same issue abou the top bolt of the sway bars. You need to get a ball joint seperator, or pickle fork. Place it inbetween the swat bar and the connections, and hit it hard young man. If will take any where from 30 - 100 hits for it to come off.
If you look in hte suspension section, look for the topic named swaybar discos. I got some good advice.
Good luck and have fun.

94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.