Sway bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sway bar

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 10-25-2001, 09:20 PM   #1
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sway bar

hello everyone, I was curious about the Sway bar and quick disconnects. Does it help to remove the Sway bar? If so, what does it benefit? Have seen mention of quick discoonects and people taking them off for off road use. Any help would be appreciated.

Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2001, 09:31 PM   #2
bob91yj

Your sway bar ties the frame of the Jeep to the front axle. This prevents excessive body roll for street driving, but limits your axle articulation when off roading. Quick disconnects allow you to disconnect your sway bar without having to unbolt anything, usually you just have to remove a pin and pull the sway bar up out of the way. It's not a bad idea to bungie cord the sway bar up when it's disco'd.
There are people that run on the street without a sway bar, but it can be a little unnerving at times, and I wouldn't really recommend it.
Removing the factory sway bar links can be a real chore, and may require a pickle fork for the upper stud, it's a tapered stud.
Unread 10-26-2001, 01:46 AM   #3
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by bob91yj:
Your sway bar ties the frame of the Jeep to the front axle. This prevents excessive body roll for street driving, but limits your axle articulation when off roading. Quick disconnects allow you to disconnect your sway bar without having to unbolt anything, usually you just have to remove a pin and pull the sway bar up out of the way. It's not a bad idea to bungie cord the sway bar up when it's disco'd.
There are people that run on the street without a sway bar, but it can be a little unnerving at times, and I wouldn't really recommend it.
Removing the factory sway bar links can be a real chore, and may require a pickle fork for the upper stud, it's a tapered stud.
Thanks Bob, That was alot of help. I think I'll leave it alone for now.
Unread 10-26-2001, 02:32 PM   #4
SBgreenYJ

Im actually working on a project for my advertising class here at school concerning a remotely disconnecting sway bar. What I have found already is that because YJ's have leafs, you can get away with disconnecting your sways and leave them off for on road driving. When you get to springs on the TJ's for example, you have more independent front and rear suspension (Hence why TJ's generally "flex" easier than YJ's)
Unread 10-26-2001, 02:39 PM   #5
I-4

completly removed the sway bar from my yj!made a big difference offroad.on the street it changed the cornering but,it is very easily made up for in driving habits.it has a slight amount more of body roll.left the trac-bars in place.they don't effect off road performance that bad.it even rides better on the street.my wife even noticed the improved ride.just hope a state inspector doesn't have a bad day next inspection!anyone know if it is mandatory to have?
Unread 10-26-2001, 10:24 PM   #6
powjunkie

I've been running with my sway bars and track bars removed for a couple of years now. I notice a little more roll in the corners, but I wouldn't say it's changed my driving style.
Unread 10-27-2001, 03:54 AM   #7
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info folks. Bottom line is would you let your 17 Year old daughter drive your YJ on the street w/o the Swaybars installed?
Unread 10-27-2001, 07:48 AM   #8
glm 87 wrangler

NO WAY I had a dog jump out in front of me when I had mine off.Was kind of hard to recover but some how i did.If another car was comming i would have been a goner.If she 17 i would giver her all the added help the jeep has to offer and then some.NOT SAYING SHE A BAD DRIVER!!But she 17...
Unread 10-27-2001, 10:03 AM   #9
powjunkie

In the words of the famous philosopher, Homer....Doh!!!

Definately want to leave everything attached.
Unread 10-27-2001, 04:43 PM   #10
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarge37:
Thanks for all the info folks. Bottom line is would you let your 17 Year old daughter drive your YJ on the street w/o the Swaybars installed?
Really this would depend on what you've done to the Jeep? A suspension lift or Add-a-leaf would stiffen the suspension some. This would help keep the Jeep on track while onroad. It's not for everyone though. You have to think about the Trackbars offroad too though. Don't forget about those. I've cracked a extension bracket for the front trackbar when I left it on. I've heard of people cracking the cast sleeve on the housing before too.

Currently I drive with no trackbars and disco's on the swaybar. They were cheap $50 RE disconnects. I've driven years without the swaybar too. Takes some adjustments but not much. It's safe to say that a hardtop Jeep will sway a lot more then a soft top Jeep. The weigth really makes a difference.

Well anyway, where in hawaii are you. I'm on Oahu. email me if you like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.