Swapping metal dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swapping metal dash

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Swapping metal dash

I had an accident with my jeep a few months ago and my knee bent the metal dash. I see these real cheap on ebay and craigslist. Is it a fairly easy swap or am I asking for a headache.

Mark455SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How do I take my doors off gets 30 replies.
Unread 05-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

It is actually a fairly simple but time consuming process. How bent is it?? Can you just bend it back??? Pics????

The part that is going to suck the most is you have to take your column apart to get the dash over it. here is a good link on how to do that: http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

If you look up my speaker replacement thread, youwill see how the dash comes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark455SD View Post
Over a 24hr time frame. Give it a few min.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
cinneman
1930 MK Compass 

Quote:
Unread 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There aren't a whole lot of people on at 8:00 in the morning

The dash isn't too hard to remove though, just a ton of screws and the part about disassembling the steering column.
Unread 05-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its ok, like everyone else has said, its time consuming and a little boring. I just swapped mine out last week. For the the steering column problem I just cut the piece with a cut off wheel, one cut and flexed. I am planning on riveting it back into place, its really hard to notice.
AuroraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

what part of the dash panel hits the steering column ? It looks like if you just pulled the steering wheel ans the turn signal lever and tilt lever the dash would slide right over. I'm probably wrong but I just wondered as I might be swapping in a cj dash soon to replace my rotten and cracked stock dash
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
what part of the dash panel hits the steering column ? It looks like if you just pulled the steering wheel ans the turn signal lever and tilt lever the dash would slide right over. I'm probably wrong but I just wondered as I might be swapping in a cj dash soon to replace my rotten and cracked stock dash
You have it right. What I ment was the wheel and levers. But pulling the wheel if you have not done so before can be fun.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 05-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

oh ok cool I wasnt looking forward to tearing apart the column on top of the wiring mess swapping in the cj dash will already be
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Big parts like steering columns im ok with. Its the wiring harness that im concerned with. and the heater controls. Will I be able to just unbolt everything off of the metal panel still connected or will I have have to disconnect everything and and reconnect. Ill take some pictures tomorrow rusty. I probably could bend it back but I would like to swap it because none of bolt holes line up anymore for the plastic panels.
Unread 05-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Thanks guys. Big parts like steering columns im ok with. Its the wiring harness that im concerned with. and the heater controls. Will I be able to just unbolt everything off of the metal panel still connected or will I have have to disconnect everything and and reconnect. Ill take some pictures tomorrow rusty. I probably could bend it back but I would like to swap it because none of bolt holes line up anymore for the plastic panels.
Ugh, sounds like it was painful. Your gonna have to unbolt everything and disconnect in the back. It is not that complicated. The center gauge pod is one connection and the heater controls come apart easily.

A word of advice though, before you start pulling apart, disconnect the batt. You can EASILLY ground one of the gauges or a switch contact and blow fuses. It really sux.

Unread 05-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
joe's_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

dont go through all that horn crap, just remove the sterring column all together, theres a bolt in the egine bay that looses it, and 2 or three by the dash and the whole thing comes out.
The cheapest way to get a significant power increase over a stock 2.5l, would be to pull it out and put in a 5hp briggs & stratton engine.
joe's_yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.