Swapping D-30 from newer YJ - problems to watch out for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swapping D-30 from newer YJ - problems to watch out for?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
squibload
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Swapping D-30 from newer YJ - problems to watch out for?

Hey all- I'm regearing my '90 by swapping out my 3.07 geared D30 and D35.

I got a pretty good deal on a D30 and D35, geared 4.10, from a '95 2.5L...picking them up on Saturday.

As far as I can tell, the D35 in the rear should be a cinch.

Here are the Q's:
1. I noticed that the tie rod ends from 91-95 are shown as different part numbers than those for earlier YJ's like mine. Will this cause me any fitment issues to the D30 steering knuckle? (I'm planning on keeping my current tie rod.) I assume that the studs are the same, but perhaps the threads (to the tie rod) are different?

2.Re. the D30 CAD: Did all YJ's use the same CAD? If they are the same, and the new axle's CAD doesn't work, could I swap in my current, fully operational CAD? If it doesn't work, I could always Posi-Lock it...but I'd rather not drop more $$$ if I can get away with it.

Thanks for the info, gang!

squibload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Provojeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'll take a shot at your questions since I did the same swap a couple of years ago.

The D35 should be an easy straight swap unless there are anti-lock brakes, which I am not sure were offered on the YJ. My D30 was an easy swap also. I used the the tie rod and drag link from the new axle since they came with the axle. I don't think there is any size difference in the TRE between the years. I have seen at least two different styles of CAD on the YJ but they are interchangable. You should not have any problems there.

Good luck to you. With luck someone will correct me if I have made any errors. My swap was easy and well worth it.
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

All will swap right over. Axle for axle. Even if it did have ABS, you would just not hook up the sensors. IIRC it was only the rear that had ABS anyway. And there werent many that had it.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What year did the 4WD indicator light switch move from the vacuum thing on the firewall to the electric switch on the CAD?
Unread 04-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
squibload
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
What year did the 4WD indicator light switch move from the vacuum thing on the firewall to the electric switch on the CAD?
Not sure, but the CAD on the '95 axles uses a different CAD with just two vacuum ports.

At first glance, I'd guess that I will want to swap over my current, three-ported CAD to the new axles.

Or, should I just bit the bullet and go with the Posi-lock, in case the CAD swap doesn't work?

Thanks for the advice, all...I'll take pics along the way to (maybe) help out someone else who's going through the same process.
Unread 04-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just swap your vacuum disco in. 4 bolts.
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
squibload
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Burnerman, I'm originally from Warwick, NY...a cross-border shout out to ya...

I'm going to give the CAD swap a whirl....TJ shafts just isn't in the cards for me, and I may as well try the swap betore dropping $ on a Posi, homebrewed or otherwise...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.