Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Swapping carbs & possible nutter

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  monkeyhouse 
#1 ·
This weekend I will be swapping carbs from my stock carter that has been a pain in my behind to a webber that should be arriving in the mail today. I have a couple questions that I would appreciate any kind of feedback on.

1. I plan on doing the nutter if I can figure it out. Should I do this at the same time or is it safer to swap carbs, make sure all is running correctly and then try the nutter?

2. Does anyone have jacobs electronics energy pak ignition that has had success with the nutter? I have tried the nutter with the carter but failed because of what seemed like a wiring mistake. It would crank all day with no start. I know the directions are super easy for the nutter on stock systems (purple to purple, orange to orange) but I wasn't able to figure it out with the jacobs I have, the colors are different, so I took my best guess and it didn't work, so I'd appreciate any help before I go snipping wires willy nilly.

3. Thirdly, I didn't order the air box conversion for the weber. I read that the stock air box is more efficient in cold weather and though I live in WI my Jeep is only my spring-fall vehicle. Just how "cold" does it have to be to cause trouble? I'd like to start driving her in a couple weeks and some days it will probably be 35-40 degrees.

Thank you very much (in Elvis voice)
bluedaffy

See less See more
#2 ·
anyone have some info for bluedaffy .I'm curious about the nutter problems you have had .i hate computers i say this while typing on one.lol i would **** can the computer and remove it from controlling any thing on your jeep.This is if pollution and safety inspection will allow it.35-40 degrees is not that cold a proper working choke will allow the engine to run just fine imo.

#4 ·
This weekend I will be swapping carbs from my stock carter that has been a pain in my behind to a webber that should be arriving in the mail today. I have a couple questions that I would appreciate any kind of feedback on.

1. I plan on doing the nutter if I can figure it out. Should I do this at the same time or is it safer to swap carbs, make sure all is running correctly and then try the nutter?

2. Does anyone have jacobs electronics energy pak ignition that has had success with the nutter? I have tried the nutter with the carter but failed because of what seemed like a wiring mistake. It would crank all day with no start. I know the directions are super easy for the nutter on stock systems (purple to purple, orange to orange) but I wasn't able to figure it out with the jacobs I have, the colors are different, so I took my best guess and it didn't work, so I'd appreciate any help before I go snipping wires willy nilly.

3. Thirdly, I didn't order the air box conversion for the weber. I read that the stock air box is more efficient in cold weather and though I live in WI my Jeep is only my spring-fall vehicle. Just how "cold" does it have to be to cause trouble? I'd like to start driving her in a couple weeks and some days it will probably be 35-40 degrees.

Thank you very much (in Elvis voice)
bluedaffy
Your biggest issue is that ignition. I am not familiar with Jacobs electronics, so I won't be much help there. I did my nutter before I swapped carbs, but you can swap carbs and do the nutter if you want, but until you do the nutter the computer will still be controlling your carb. I have never had any issues with cold temps and it can get down to zero here in the most extreme. I did the nutter on mine frst because I wanted to make sure it was done correctly before I threw another wrench into the picture(My weber).

#5 ·
The jacobs system I have is HEI. What is the difference between that and a team rush? If I were to do it would it be worth it because when I bought the Jeep I was told that the jacobs electronics was a pretty sweet upgrade already. What would the team rush get me that I don't already have? I hope someone out there has or knows about the jacobs...

BTW- Thanks for the posts, I really appreciate them.

#6 ·
I just read a review( http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/reviews/jacobs97/ ) and it appears that the team rush mod is similar however may also help get higher energy to your sparkplugs since it uses the factory coil in tandem with the jacobs system. Also if your running stock plug wires those should also be changed to gain as much energy as possible.

#7 ·
Bluedaffy.....

I have recently done both upgrades... Ill help what i can with what i ran into

First of all, If you are doing a Weber and the nutter, might as well do them both at the same time as you will have to change up the vacuum lines for the nutter, and again for the Weber, and you wont have to mess with the stepper motor.

When I did the nutter, I ran into wiring confusion, so this is what i found. find the purple/orange from the dist, I tied into mine before the connection at the dist so I didnt cut the wiring harness on the dist for warrantee reasons. I twisted the wires and ran them over to the ign control module, now this is where the write ups differ a bit. The stock wire changes color going over to the ICM. I think the CJs stay purple orange, the YJs start purple orange, but it changes in the loom. At the ICM, tie the orange into the solid green w/black stripe, and the purple is down below, and mine had nothing running to it so I just cut it at the connection and tied them together. I set my timing to 10 BTC... yours will differ a bit because I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and we are about 4500 ft above sea level and elevation will affect that. I think WI is around 1000 to 1500 ft. I am having small issues with my jets on my Weber so I am going to order a jet kit and play around soon.

These 2 pages helped me out a TON so I knew what i was hooking up, and where they go
Sorry Im not sure how to post links so you will have to just copy and paste
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/weber-32-36-install-write-up-382309/

Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can do to help
Good luck! You will LOVE LOVE LOVE the Weber!

#9 · (Edited)
bluedaffy,

I just noticed that you mentioned the airbox conversion and concern about the cold weather. I live in Salt Lake City and it is pretty cold here, overnight in the mid to upper 20s, and i dont have any real issues starting my jeep in the morning, mine has the square washable filter that came with the carb. Again, feel free to PM me when you start the wiring and or vac lines. Also, do you have emission inspection where you are? I was told the Weber wont pass in some places, I know it wont here but I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.... if ya catch my drift. but to be safe, I didnt permanently remove anything stock in case I cant get it to pass. I really dont care what it looks like under the hood, and Ill be damned if under my hood is cleaner than inside.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/picture-guide-nutter-bypass-476720/

Also... dug this up in case you needed it. He has a 90 too and his is purple to purple, orange to orange, I had to tear my loom apart to find out where and what it changed to... so you might have to do that, I thought the CJs were same and the carbed YJs changed colors

#10 ·
Not true that all YJ's switch colors on the wires in the loom, but that is why you have to pull the wires out of the loom and follow the wires all the way. As for the nutter, do yourself a big favor and do it first, then set timing and then do the carb swap. This way you know it works before you swap carbs. Doing the nutter after the carb sawp gives you more things that could go wrong. Also, search for posts by JeepHammer, he is very knowledgeable, especially about team rush. You could also pm him. I've talked to the guy and he is great to get info from. You can always post back here or om me and I will help as well as the other guys who have already posted. My experience is everyone on this forum loves to help, so you have alot of friends here who want to help and want to see you succeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.